Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > Quackin' Up

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Muley

Thumbs up Benelli vs. Baretta...need opinions

Bass Pro just advertised both of the 3.5" autoloaders for sale until Nov. 7th...
The question is who likes what and for what reasons. It's time to finally step into the modern world of autoloaders; I am going down to purchase one or the other this evening, and would like to hear from some of you that have shot both, own one, or know alot about 'em. Thanks -DJ
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Moose

Wow! Tough choice! I like them both, but I prefer the way the Benelli feels. For me, it comes up smoother. Take that into account before you buy. Guns are like bows, if it doesn't fell right, don't buy it.

If I had to choose between a Benelli and a Browning, I'd take the Browning (Gold specifically) hands down. What balance!

Now, for my opinion on pumps, you can't beat Remington's Wingmaster. That sucker shoulders right now!

Ok, I'm done...for now.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com

Last edited by Monie; 10-31-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Musk Ox

Don't know about the Baretta but the Benelli super black eagle is one heckuva gun....

A few of my buddies have them and they love them... I can't afford one..

Should probably quit buying new bows

I've borrowed them before and have to agree that its a great gun...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkArcher View Post
Don't know about the Baretta but the Benelli super black eagle is one heckuva gun....

A few of my buddies have them and they love them... I can't afford one..

Should probably quit buying new bows

I've borrowed them before and have to agree that its a great gun...
I agree I love my SBE!
NAP Spitfires
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Caribou

I have an SBE, two friends have SBE II's and another friend has the Beretta Extrema (2?)....we ALL love them. So, I think it's a matter of personal preference. None of us have ever had any technical issues and we beat on our guns pretty good. We're waterfowlers, and those guns have been underwater in January and iced up and still worked, submerged in pond muck, laid down in muddy fields, etc and never a problem. Both are quality built firearms. Just see what feels best in your hands.

One word of warning, the SBE II's are REALLY light. That feels nice, but comes with a price. You WILL feel the effects of the magnum shells.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have an SBE, two friends have SBE II's and another friend has the Beretta Extrema (2?)....we ALL love them. So, I think it's a matter of personal preference. None of us have ever had any technical issues and we beat on our guns pretty good. We're waterfowlers, and those guns have been underwater in January and iced up and still worked, submerged in pond muck, laid down in muddy fields, etc and never a problem. Both are quality built firearms. Just see what feels best in your hands.

One word of warning, the SBE II's are REALLY light. That feels nice, but comes with a price. You WILL feel the effects of the magnum shells.
You aint kidding when you say "light". My boss has one just for sporting clays ( I know what a waste!!!) but that thing feels like a feather!!!

I don't even want to know what 3.5" mags feel like out of that..

I use the Mossberg 935, Great gun for the money. I only get out for geese about 5 times a year so I can't justify the the more high end autos...

I know the 935 feels like a tank compared to the SBE II...
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Muley

Thank you all for your comments so far. I like the fact that the Benelli can handle the grimey conditions better. From what I am also told, the Beretta is very tempermental if not kept perfectly clean. Sounds like a range gun to me. I like the rugged-ness of the Benelli, especially after hearing about it's performance in nasty weather and conditions. The Beretta handles the kick better than any out there, but I'm not that old yet. I am thinking Benelli at this point. Keep the comments coming because come tomarrow, I'll be about $1,500 lighter
Old 11-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Muley

Make that $1,756.28 (you can never get out of those places without spending a bit extra). Well, I went with the Benelli. After comments by all, going through the actions on both, and comparing feel I decided the Benelli was the gun for me. I discovered that the Beretta was too difficult to unload in the field due to excessive small buttons or action controls. The word is out that Beretta doesn't like the outdoors much either. Tempermental as to it's hygene from what many are saying. I like a gun that doesn't mind the taste of mud if it were to fall over; or if I were to (wouldn't be the first time).
As a sale bonus...Bass Pro threw in a Duck Blind Gear Bag and Field Gun Case. The gun was included with 5 differnt chokes, tool, and nice Benelli Break-Down Hardcase storing everything very neatly. Knowing that I'll use this gun more than any other in the safe, I am very satified with my decision. After my 10 day wait period, I'll be picking it up on my way to this year's first duck harvest down in the Imperial Valley.
Thanks again to all for your quick comments. Expect some photos to follow from its debut performance. -DJ
Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Moose

I had an SBE and a SBE 2. Loved them both but I didnt have a use for them anymore. So I unloaded them. Im sure you will be happy with it.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Muley

Smile

Well, after hitting the pheasants, quail, ducks and geese, and a few more rounds at the range I've come to the conclusion that the sights are useless on this gun. So I removed them. The first two hunting trips were a bit frustrating, because I never got to the range first. I kept shooting under the birds. That vent rib is just too high for sights to be effective. The rib itself is now my sight referrence. Nothing but dead birds and clay now. 21 out of 25 on the skeet (28 in. barrel); and 25 of 25 on the trap. Recoil not an issue until I age a bit more. 3 1/2 inchers didn't feel any different than a 3" 870.

Last edited by Outdoorsman; 01-19-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: photo