Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Bighorn

Default This makes me think

that I should maybe start carrying bear spray or bear bangers when I'm out archery hunting.I'm not to worried about blacks but the grizzlies make me nervous

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...50991-sun.html
Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Musk Ox

A short barreled shotgun might be better than either of those, buddy. Some places frown on carrying a firearm during bow season, so check your regs. If ya have to leave meat or have to back out over nite, I'd definitely have a shotgun handy when going back in after it.

Be careful, Timba...

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Musk Ox

Ole Griz is nothing to mess with and pepper spray does not always deterr an attack once griz agressively focuses on you. I'd consider a large hand gun. Oh yeah I just remember Canadians aren't suppose to have hand guns so a shot gun with buck shot would be the choice weapon. Bowhunting with a shot gun is a bit of drag but better than being dragged around by griz.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Bighorn

Wow! I bet that was gross.

I would certainly think you would want to carry something...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Bighorn

A handgun would be sweet but I would probably get thrown in jail carrying one.I don't hunt griz country alot but I guess it just takes that one time.

timba
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Bighorn

I just heard from one of the guys I was hunting elk with last weekend,he is out this again this weekend and some how ended up 60 yards from a sow griz and her cubs this morning

timba
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I'm not to worried about blacks but the grizzlies make me nervous

The difference between a blackie and a grizz is that the grizzly will not attack out of curiosity, while the black will. Of all the time Ive been in the mountains and in grizz country (Im from Alberta...) I have yet seen or heard of a grizzly's curiosity making him even sniff around a stand. I have seen black bears come up the tree just to see what the heck was hanging there.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Musk Ox

Scary, I'd be packing a gun. We're starting to get more Black Bears in the area, which I'm not a real big fan of that.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------
Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Muley

You don't have to be in * grizzly country * to encounter them. Last year hubby and I saw more grizzly's that I care to shake a stick at. We saw lots of sow's and their young . We also saw alot of Black's. When I first moved to Alberta from Florida 8 years ago, you couldn't even get me out of the truck if we drove out to the bush. Now I've gotten a little more braver. I still keep an eye out for bears when John and I are out walking and stalking. I have to say ... I am always nervous .
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I just heard from one of the guys I was hunting elk with last weekend,he is out this again this weekend and some how ended up 60 yards from a sow griz and her cubs this morning

timba
Now that's a classic bear attack situation and one a fear the most. 60 yards can be nothing for a bear to clear in a flat run. Glad he got away with everything and hope he just stays out of there for sometime.

Bears usually get the H out of the way if they know your in the area. Black bears will come close to you but once they figure you out they're backing off. Griz has a different idea of what's theirs and mostly will run off. Mother griz will not allow you to get close - if you don't have a pass for permission she'll run you over and start to fight.