Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Whitetail

Default Ontario bear hunting dates

I am planning a bear hunt in Ontario, north of Kenora. If you could choose, would you rather hunt August 16-22, August 23-29, or September 13-19, and why?

Thanks

Dennis
Old 09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Bighorn

I've have never hunted bears in the fall but I would go with sept 13-19 its a little latter into the fall with cooler days and the bears might be hitting the baits hard looking to fatten up before they go down for the winter.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Bighorn

Dennis...

if it comes from Timba regarding bears...

you can take that to the bank...
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Antelope

theyre hungry during all those times...earlier dates you have compete with the berries and the berries were out in full force this fall. i was in kenora from 30 aug - 16 sep (fishing) and seen lots of bears but they were all either at the dump or eating the berries.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Muley

I have hunted Ontario for the past 9 years . I hunt the first week & have taken a bear each year including 2 P&Y my wife has also taken a bear each year 1 P&Y
& a couple of near misses on the P&Y front. We prefer the early week because many of the berries are not at full ripeness yet, that seems to happen Labor Day week. Which we hunted 2 years " not fun" the bears would walk past a bait & not even look over. Also the weather seems more stable early & once you get past the opening of grouse season unless you are very remote expect some activity from the bird hunters. Hope this helps just my thoughts.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2 View Post
I have hunted Ontario for the past 9 years . I hunt the first week & have taken a bear each year including 2 P&Y my wife has also taken a bear each year 1 P&Y
& a couple of near misses on the P&Y front. We prefer the early week because many of the berries are not at full ripeness yet, that seems to happen Labor Day week. Which we hunted 2 years " not fun" the bears would walk past a bait & not even look over. Also the weather seems more stable early & once you get past the opening of grouse season unless you are very remote expect some activity from the bird hunters. Hope this helps just my thoughts.
bear2 where do you hunt in Ontario? I live in Ohio and have been trying to find a good place to drive to from here. Any help would be much appreciated. I wish they did a spring hunt in Ontario because my August 2009 is already booked on another antelope hunt in Colorado.