Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Tunatales03 Tunatales03 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11
Default Back From Nova Scotia

Well i just got back from my bear hunt in nova scotia. Let me start by saying Todd from Jaws and Claws outfitters was awesome. I had to take the ferry across and was arriving at 2 a.m. friday morning. Was going to get a hotel room and have the outfitter todd pick me up when he got going in the morning. He insisted i cancel my hotel room and he would be at the ferry at 2 a.m. to get me. Well he was there and we were off to camp. Friday we checked baits and rebaited. All stands we went to were hit. I was suppose to sit on a ground blind for the first hunt since he knew a nice bear was coming in but the wind was wrong for that site and he recommended i go to another bait. Todd asked if he could sit with me and film my hunt. Well i told him that would be fine. He suggested a stand since the wind should be good for the site. We get in stand and waite about a 1/2 hour and had 2 bears come in. Nice 150 pound bears but, i was after a 300 pounder. A little bit longer another bear comes in. At one point we had 5 bears at the bait. While on stand the wind shifted but the bears didn't seem to care. Actually the wind started to swirl. We seen 3 other bears behind us that wouldn't come out and one looked to be like the one i was after. Well another bear headed down the trail towards my bait. Looking at this bear i noticed it was diferent from the rest i was watching. As it got closer it walked right by our stand and noticed it was a chocolate colored bear. Now, the guide couldn't believe it, he said that he lived there is entire life and never seen a color phased bear and never heard of anyone seeing one either except back in 1935 when someone shot a 160 pound cinnamon. He said it was a good bear if i wanted to shoot it. Well i was looking for a 300 pounder and told him i would pass. I thought he was going to pass out. We watched the bears adn headed out of the stand. A great first night. Saturday was rainy and no bears showed up although the bait was hit when we got in. This was another site also. Monday came with 40 knot winds so i decided to go on the ground blind that i was going to hunt the first nite. Well nothing showed which i really didn't think anything would. Tuesday my last nite there he suggested we go to the stand we were in on the first nite and see if the big bear we seen would show. I agreed. 13 minutes into the hunt we had a bear come in. We saw a total of 4 bears that nite. During the last 1/2 hour os light the color phase bear comes in again and he tells me it is a good bear and suggests i take it if i wanted it. I knew it was the last final minutes and decided it would be a trophy since it was a once in a lifetime opportunity here. The bear had a nice coat so i told him i woulld shoot. With camera running i drew back when the bear presented a shot and let the arrow fly. At 18 yards the arrow found its mark and the bear ran 30 yards and piled up. The bear was about 220 pounds and is chocolate colored and has white claws. A great hunt with a great guide.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump