Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Caribou

I'll get some more pics this weekend but here are some:

http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.fre...2007Waterfowl#
http://picasaweb.google.com/adam.fre...2006Waterfowl#

Not to toot my own horn, but I trained Syrus 100% by myself and have gone through a lot of issues with him and he has turned out great.

You're on the right track, just keep working her and be patient. If she balks again at the size of the goose, get her all fired up by teasing her with one, then toss it a few feet and keep repeating that if she'll bring it. If she won't, hold one by the head to support the weight and tease her into grabbing it at the base of the neck, then help her carrying it around slowly giving her more and more weight and then letting go. You've just got to take baby steps, she's young yet.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Not to toot my own horn, but I trained Syrus 100% by myself and have gone through a lot of issues with him and he has turned out great.
Toot that horn loud and proud man! It's a lot of work and if you get the desired result more power to ya!

I was raised with the notion that if you didn't train your own dog, you didn't have time for one in the first place. Be proud man. You've both earned it.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Muley

good job adam just got in from working the dog, it's been raining all day ,she likes the rain,threw the dummy for about an hour and a half.as long as she kept bringing it back and heeling up next to me and holding it till i took it i kept going.now if i keep her going and she preforms this well on a live bird i'll be extra happy! thanks to all you guys for the suggestions! i'll keep you posted.---encore
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Caribou

Good job encore. Just remember, that switch from a dummy to a live bird is HUGE. The real thing has smells, tastes, and a taste that no dummy is ever going to replicate.

A couple more things you might want to try is this. They have those Dokken dead fowl trainers that simulate birds, but I'd recommend getting one of the Avery ATB Mallards instead (same thing but the ATB promotes a better hold). That will get her used to the head bobbing around and the relative shape of a bird.

Then there are also some bumpers out there with a pheasant skin stretched over them. It might be wise to get one of those so she gets used to the feathers.

One thing I did, was I kept all kinds of dead birds in my freezer when Sy was a pup to practive with. I had doves, pigeons, crows, ducks, pheasants, and yes, even a goose! Though frozen, they still had the feathery feel, taste and smell of a fresh killed bird and I think really helped Sy with what to expect in the field. Next time your out, save a bird or 2, heck, even just the wings of a goose make a pretty interesting dummy for a young dog!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Muley

thanks adam---i do have other birds in the freezer that i use ,no geese though,yesterday i did tie on four goose wings to the dummy that's what i worked with her with.she does retrieve the other birds,never used a goose just assumed she would get those too.guess not.so i'll just keep useing the wings until i get out and get a whole bird. thanks , encore
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Caribou

Yeah, the big thing with the goose is it's size, not to mention if you get a wounded one that wants to fight! haha My dog just bowls them over grabs'em and comes back with them. Sometimes he's got them by the neck, others by the wing, the foot, whatever. As long as he gets them back to me, I don't care, I'm not picky!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Bighorn

Amen to all that. Twice even.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Caribou

We put the smack down this weekend. 36 geese hit the deck on Saturday. Syrus pulled off retrieves that even surprised ME and it looks like all the hard work I put into him this summer was worth it!

I've got to get pics from my buddy Chris and upload the ones from my camera that we got at the house but for now, these cell phone pics will have to do. I couldn't get any pics of Syrus in action though as it rained all morning and in the evening while it was nice, we were waist deep along the beaver dam in a swamp, both situations being bad news for good cameras! haha

Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Bighorn

Good NIGHT!!!

Man you dropped a SERIOUS hammer out there!

Good lookin lab!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Musk Ox

That's a pile of geese!

Proud Parent of a Marine

Last edited by Va Hunter; 09-08-2008 at 02:04 PM.