Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Moose

Default Foodplots and roundup?

How long do you wait until you plant after spraying roundup?
thanks
Adam
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Musk Ox

7 to 10 days is what I've been told.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.

Last edited by firediver; 09-02-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Moose

Thats what I thought.
thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Caribou

You can plant right after you spray, or you can plant it then spray it. Roundup is a contact spray with no carry over, so if it isn't growing it won't hurt it.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Whitetail

My suggestion is to spray it 10-14 days before you intend to till/plant. It is true that you only have to wait a day or two to till once you spray, because the plant is dead (dying) at that point, it just doesn't know it yet! But part of my reason for spraying so far in advance is thay any visible vegetation will be fried when you do till it. The dried and wilted vegetation will till/work up so much easier with this method, giving you a better seed bed. You can get "generic" Round Up-type products (I use "Cornerstone Plus", and "Killz-All" is another) in 1 or even 2 1/2 gallon jugs (concentrates). The main ingredient in most of the Round Up-type products is Glyphosate (usually 41% concentrate), so look for something with that in it. The local Feed and Seed or Farmers' Exchange are good places to start. I use a tank sprayer mounted on the back rack of my quad. The 2 1/2 gallon jug will cover almost 10 acres of area. The price, like everything else, has gone up a lot in the past year-from $45 for a 2.5 gal jug last year to $85 this year. It is still a good deal when you consider how much ground it covers.

Of course a "back pack" type sprayer will work just as well, especially for smaller areas. And there are chemicals which kill/brown the vegetation much quicker than Glyphosate, but they are pretty NASTY, so I have stuck with the Round Up-type products.

Good luck and shoot straight!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Caribou

Another suggestion, I know it's getting late so you don't have a bunch of time but this helps with the next round of weeds. Spray and kill all of the vegetation that is currently there, till it under and then wait a couple weeks. In those couple weeks some new vegetation will pop up, spray again wait a couple days, till and plant. This will help kill the newly emerged weeds without harming your plot. Good Luck!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
You can plant right after you spray, or you can plant it then spray it. Roundup is a contact spray with no carry over, so if it isn't growing it won't hurt it.

yep burrhead is right

timba