Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Antelope

We do our own also mostly just because I want to know exactly what's in my sausage but you do also loose some in blood weight after it is thawed. If done right you do get about 35 to 40 % out of that animal depending on where and how many shots are in it.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Antelope

i understand how much generally comes from game... but i also know when someone has been taken advantage of. it has never happened to me, i was just wondering if its happened to anyone else.

Darton Pro 3000---Darton Wrangler---Elite GTO---Elite Synergy XT---Bowtech Allegiance---Archery Research AR-31---Carbon Express---Muzzy MX-3
Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Caribou

We do our own as well that way you know what you have, and you save $$, the last elk we did took 3 hours.
Yes I have been tolled things like, not getting all the meat back, missing back strap, and even getting beef back in stead of elk or deer, BUT our Hunters have never had a problem.

Now one thing I can say, at lest for here, is that if the butcher knows that you are an out-of-stater you will be charged a LOT!! and we tell our hunters this and some don't care, but to give you an idea, one of our hunters took his bull in and was charged $600 and that's not with the S/H!! another guy I know which is not a NR took his bull in to the same butcher and was charged $350, when we asked about the $$ difference the butcher openly said "the NR have the $$"

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Moose

...and that's why I do my own!

I usually have just enough to get to the hunt and back. I don't need some smart*** butcher thinking I have the $$ to spare just because I'm a NR. What a bunch of bull.

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Caribou

Thats right!!

I can think of much better ways of spending $600!! ya thats about 6 tanks of Diesel

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Muley

many years ago before i started doing my own sausage, itook the scraps in and when it was done, picked it up got home and tasted it. sorta tasted like liver. they forgot to put in any spices! so he took the 20 sticks of suumer sausage back went in the cooler and brought out 20 more and handed them to me. question:where did that meat come from?-----encore
Old 08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Muley

encore, some butchers mass produce the sausage, so the meat you field dress and take extra care to keep cool and clean can be mixed or totally diffrent meat from a diff hunter. it helps to keep cost down.

Now this brings up a topic I need to post