Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Whitetail

Default Question about arrows

Hi! I am new here, so I hope its okay to post here...anyway, I am new to using a compound bow...I bought a Bear Odyssey yesterday and it has been a blast to shoot. Now, I need some arrows. My draw weight is 42 lbs, my bow came with 3 arrows but I already ruined one of them. I like the Gold Tip Ted Nugent arrows (white with zebra), but I can't find any for my draw weight. Does anyone have any suggestions what to use and where to go...I have tried ebay and others but I am having time finding anything and I don't quite understand how they have the stuff listed.

My draw weight is 40 to 50 lbs...my actual is 42
My draw length is 26 inches.

The arrows that I have are 27 in long...27 1/2 with the nocks.

Thanks so much for the help!!! melody
Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Bighorn

Hey welcome to the boards!

Are you hunting with this bow or just archery?

If you are hunting...

From the Easton Website:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

ST Epic 400 or 500
ST Axis 400 or 500 (these are pricey but worth it if you are committed)
Redline 520

From the Beman Website:
http://www.beman.com/products/shaft-selector
Flash 570
ICS Energy 520
Beman 9.3 500
Team Realtree or Classic MFX 500 (these pack a pretty good punch)
ICS Hunter Elite, Hunter,Bowhunter, Camo Hunter 500

Gold Tip site is suggesting:

The Ultralight and CAA shafts at 500
Pro Hunter, XT Hunter, & EXP Hunter at 3555
Falcon 35 @ 35

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 08-11-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Whitetail

Thanks for the help! I am wanting to hunt with it, but for right now mostly target practice. I have shot a crossbow before and I liked it a lot...it's taken me some getting used to on the compound.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Bighorn

Yep it will. And just when you think you've got it all nailed down, a new toy will show up in the market, a new idea will come around, something... Then you are right back to the drawing board.

Find a shaft that you and your checkbook are comfortable with, and then get a decent target. Bust it up. Period. Just beat the tar out of it. Shoot 15 to 20 yards, and when you're grouping the arrows well, move back to 30. When you group well, move back to 40.

With a 42lb bow, by the time you are proficient at 30 or 40, and if you feel comfortable, move the bow weight in the same progression. Baby steps.

Before you know it... you'll be splitting x's at 40 yards with 50 lb draw. Then you might think about changing shafts again to accomodate the rise in draw weight. Say the 500 to 400 spined shafts.

I would say the best info I've been given is, "Don't forget this is to your pace... no one elses." People told me all year elsewhere on another site I should be doing this or I should be doing that by now. B.S. You move along at your pace, and it'll all be good.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Moose

Excellant post Rick! Way to help out a fellow hunter. Good luck Melody and welcome to the great sport of archery.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchastain View Post
Hi! I am new here, so I hope its okay to post here...anyway, I am new to using a compound bow...I bought a Bear Odyssey yesterday and it has been a blast to shoot. Now, I need some arrows. My draw weight is 42 lbs, my bow came with 3 arrows but I already ruined one of them. I like the Gold Tip Ted Nugent arrows (white with zebra), but I can't find any for my draw weight. Does anyone have any suggestions what to use and where to go...I have tried ebay and others but I am having time finding anything and I don't quite understand how they have the stuff listed.

My draw weight is 40 to 50 lbs...my actual is 42
My draw length is 26 inches.

The arrows that I have are 27 in long...27 1/2 with the nocks.

Thanks so much for the help!!! melody
If you want to stick with Gold Tip, then use the 4555's

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Whitetail

Rick great info.

here something that really surprised me with some of my arrows and shooting.

I bought the Easton Axis 400 and tried them. They shot great but as I was pulling 63Lb and jumped it up to 66 I change to the Easton Axis 340's for the spine difference. My arrows are 26.5 long

After spending a number of hours shooting arrows with broadheads that would not group any better then 3 out of 6,and the 3 that was off was all in different places. I found the spine in the 340's was the problem. I changed back to the 400 and had no problem grouping the 6 arrows. As far as I could tell the spline was just to much for the weight I was shooting.

Something to think about if your having grouping problems...