Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Whitetail

Default Info on bear hunting

Hi Ralph and Vicki I was woundering if you could give me some info on black bears, I have hunted in Canada for them, I was unable to fill my tag seen no bears all week, my brother harvested a 360 lbs bear. I have helped bait bear a few years in Wisconsin with my Grandfather. Its hard to get alot of time hunting them here due to preferance point system, a tag every 6-8 years. This year will be my first in wisconsin, I will be baiting myself with help from my grandfather. I was wondering if you could give info on judging size, sex, and paw sizes to size of bear. Bear hunting is in my blood, Not just the hunting, I love the baiting, and time spent with my grandfather. I will try to get back to Canada someday soon and try to take my grandfather for his first bear hunt in Canada.

Thanks soo much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
Anthony Behlke
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Antelope

Quote:
I was woundering if you could give me some info on black bears, I have hunted in Canada for them, I was unable to fill my tag seen no bears all week, my brother harvested a 360 lbs bear. I have helped bait bear a few years in Wisconsin with my Grandfather. Its hard to get alot of time hunting them here due to preferance point system, a tag every 6-8 years. This year will be my first in wisconsin, I will be baiting myself with help from my grandfather. I was wondering if you could give info on judging size, sex, and paw sizes to size of bear.

Hey there Anthony. I recently returned from Saskatchewan Canada on my Black Bear Hunt with Larson Lake Outfitters. Ralph has used this same outfitter and lodge that I went too as well as Russ Thornberry (editor for Buckmasters). There were 4 hunters in our group and total of 8 hunters in camp the second week of May. All of us harvested a Bear. I sat on stand for 4 days without seeing a bear while most other hunters harvested on the first or second evening. I shot my bear at 7:30 PM the last day of the hunt. Thats why they call it hunting. I highly recommend this Outfitter and they are reasonably priced. I believe its $2750 for 5 day hunt everything included which is not bad at all.
As far as baiting, there are tons of different combinations that guys use. I am sure you can get some good recipes from other bear hunters. I live in WV where it is illegal to bait bears so I would not be able to advise you on a bait concoction. As far as judging size, well it take a knowledged and trained eye to judge them on the paw, this is why most outfitters use a bait drum to size the bear before the harvest. It seems like all bear you see on the paw appear to be big until they get near an object that you can relate its size too. As far as determining sex of the bear, the size of the males head is much bigger and blockier looking than that of a female. Also look at ear size, bears ear size dont change much, so if it looks as though the bear has small ears and widely spaced, then its probably a good male, whereas if the ears look rather big compared to the head, then it is a smaller bear. I had a bear outfitter tell me once that the rump on a female is somewhat rounded "curvey" whereas in a male the rump is flat and goes straight down the back leg without any "curve". As far as determining paw to length ratio, a good rule of thumb is to measure the width of the front paw and add 1" and this will be an approx length of the bear. I hope this helped as I am no expert. I am sure other knowledgeable members will post their thoughts and expertise on this matter.
Good Luck and be safe.

Here are a few recipes that I dfound on the web. I am not sure how well they work:

Ingredients :
5 lbs. flour(would be about $5 for that here hope so(or less)for there too!)
2 doz. eggs
2 cubes butter or margarine
2 yeast cakes
2 tbsp. salt
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk

Preparation :
Dissolve butter in lukewarm milk, then dissolve yeast cakes.
Beat eggs until very light, add to butter, yeast and milk mixture.
Mix remaining ingredients into liquid mixture, mixing well. Let
rise until double in size. Stretch small amount of dough into
shape, leaving a hole in the middle, fry (deep fry)in oil until browned on
both sides. Makes 80 good size Filhos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cups milk
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
In a small saucepan, cover peeled potatoes with water. Bring water to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool and mash.

Scald the milk and add the sugar, shortening, 2 cups mashed potatoes and salt. Mix well.

In an upright mixture with a dough hook attachment. Add the potato mixture, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, yeast eggs and nutmeg.

Mix until well mixed, dough will be a bit sticky. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut with a doughnut cutter. Place the cut doughnuts on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until doubled in size.

In a hot fryer or deep fry pan heat shortening or canola oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Carefully place 2 to 3 doughnuts in pan.

Turn when lightly golden. Lift out when done and drain on paper towels. Glaze or roll in sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50 pounds of barley or sweet feed about 10 gallons of H2O and 10-15 pounds of sugar. Put a lid on this and put it in the sun for 2-3 weeks. You will want to stir every few days Of course feel free to pour in a gallon of syrup or a 6 pack of beer anything that will help sweeten it up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our guides in canada used oats, fry grease from a Chinese dive in Spiritwood, and a secret powder that they would not tell us was in it. I am almost sure it contained anise powder. They also used small quart jugs of pure vanilla extract squirting it over the ground and tree stumps and limbs.

Last edited by Buckfever4life; 07-10-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Antelope

Anthony I'll try to help like most will say judging bears can be tough here are a few things to look for: We use 25 gallon grease cans standing upright 36" tall, Bears that are level at there back with the can are usually 175-200 lbs when they get 2-4" over top 225-250 once they reach the 6-10" they will be in the 300+ range. When a bear stands up to one of these cans his back legs should be wider than the width of the can for a good bear(250-400LB). As a bear walks in look at there legs boars will have stove pipe looking legs (the leg to foot are same size),Sows will have a taper on there leg which makes them look like they have wrists. The size of the head also helps judging bears very rarely will you get a sow over 18" and over 300LB there head will look taperd as well pointy nose and small looking face, Where as a boar will have a block head square nose, Look for the triangle (nose to eye to eye back to nose this triangle should look to be equal distances on bears 18" and over. The body size of the bears will differ also, Sows have pear shape high on the back end and lower front end, Boars are level straight through. The pad size 3 1/2 - 4" are going to be roughly 150-200 5-6" will be 250+
When a bait i put out 1 gease can 8" hole on top and 2 oat barrels 6 one inch holes and chained to a tree so they can roll them around and lick the oats/suger out i also use some other kind of sweet stuff for them to feed on to keep them there if you make it to hard to get something to eat they won't come back as often.
Hope your succesfull this fall getting your bear
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Antelope

Here is a pic of my 300lb Sow that I harvested in May, as you can see the head does look alot like a boar. It was a 5+ yr old sow they told me.I could have swore that it was a male when it came into the bait location.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreek View Post
oat barrels 6 one inch holes and chained to a tree so they can roll them around
I did this with my oat barrels and it worked awesome.The oats barrel we filled 2/3 full and lasted 3 weeks.Just what we wanted to do give them enough to keep them coming back.

timba