Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Elk

Cool Saturday Night Special!

Well we had our first Group Hunt. There were hogs fighting everywhere but very few showed themselves within bow range. Group member Arron shot a monster boar that we estimated easily topped 250 lbs! At 20 yards and quartered away hard. Arron sent him a carbon surprise that took out his liver and both lungs. The big ol’ boar didn’t go more than 50 yards. We towed him out with the four-wheeler. It took us til’ after 1 AM to get him skinned, dressed, quartered, and in the cooler. Thank God it was Saturday night!

Nothing came under my stand except 1 cardinal and…

Oh yeah, a trespasser!

Came right up under the stand. Scared him to death when I yelled, “Hey!”
Guess he didn't notice me 20 feet up in a tree (Good Camo)

He tried to lie to me like he thought he was on public land (no rifle hunting is allowed anyway on the nearby public land he spoke of). He was very proud trespasser in his blaze orange vest, hat and .270 rifle. I asked for his name to which he replied, “I could just lie to you.” I agreed that he could as I dialed the landowner (who was in a stand 300 yards from me). I calmly suggested that he go back to where he came from. To that he turned and went back (I would assume well shaken at that point).

I wanted to get a pic of him but decided that it wasn’t worth a .270 in any part of my body and unlike Hillary Clinton did not want to subject myself to any sniper fire.

After he left, I hunted but I’m sure he spooked anything near me with all of his tromping around back in there. Oh well, I was just as excited for our group member as I would have been would it have been me. It was a great night.

Sidenote: Our group is called Legacy Outfitters. You can find the site at www.LegacyOutfitters.org . We are a small focus group from that called the Legacy Outfitters Archery Focus Group (for our county’s chapter of Legacy). We get together once a month to share, do devotionals, sling arrows, bond, and sometimes hunt. This was our very 1st group hunt as we’ve just started this focus group. The group pic is below. There is one guy not in the pic (the devotional leader). He’s taking the picture cuz we can’t figure out how to do the stupid timer thing on the camera. How many rednecks does it take to work a camera? Well, obviously 5 wasn’t enough!

Attachment 580
Big Boar!

Attachment 581
Same Boar!

Attachment 582
Chad, Brent, Arron, and Me on the far right

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak