Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Muley

Default pie anyone

I have heard many say 'as long as you keep 'em in a pie plate.....the only problem is what kind of pie?.....how big is this pie?....how do you talk the deer into holding it up long enough to shoot him? ......................marty
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Musk Ox

I've never been a fan of the "pie plate" either.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Musk Ox

Default How about a dinner plate then? LOL

Marty you are right. How big is that? Just remember to "aim small you miss small." And the pie gets smaller. The killer zone is about the size of a dinner plate. One thing I remind myself to do is to aim for the opposite front leg and you are in the dinner plate. Remember to have fun, practice good shooting form and keep them sharp.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Muley

Default Thanks...and one more question.

Wow! You guys and gals are really helpful. I've been practicing in my basement all winter, and have finally gotten outside to increase my distance/accuracy. I really like the philosophy of getting them in close by using good field strategy. What are your opinions about 3D targets vs. block targets? Are 3D's worth the investment? I have soooo much to learn.

Redeye
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Musk Ox

One thing to remember is the Block style target provide a spot to aim at where a 3D style usually does not have one so predominant. I'd be honest and get both because they both really broaden your accuracy.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Whitetail

8 " paper plate 25 yards can be a good start. one thing i do,shoot the broadhead that i use for hunting at differant yardages to see how good i am then i know,what i can do. 40 yards if i feel everything is right is my stopping point. i allso do some woodchuck hunting with a bow, great practice,and a good time.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Moose

3D's are especially helpful in getting rid of buck fever. I have a friend who nails paper targets dead on, but hits a 3D poorly, just from buck fever.

When I first started shooting 3D, it almost felt like a real hunting scenario. Once I got used to shooting 3D, it really helped me in the woods - I didn't feel like I'd pass out when a deer came through. lol

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Whitetail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
I believe a bowhunter's ethical range depends on multiple factors. The biggest factor is yourself and your capabilities!

1. Comfort & Accuracy - Do you feel comfortable shooting at these distances? Are you accurate at these distances? I would never recommend hunting at a distance that you aren't comfortable, confident, and accurate at shooting at. Otherwise you may just be setting yourself up for failure or a wounded animal. Stick to your comfort zone and your accurate zone at all times. Don't push the limit while out hunting, it's just not worth it.

2. Kinetic Energy & Penetration - Does your arrow have enough kinetic energy at these distances to kill your game? Kinetic energy is a big factor in having the ability to deliver a killing shot to your game. Certain species of animal have tougher hides than others and need more power behind the arrow to penetrate. Here's a calculator with recommended kinetic energy for certain species of game. [LINK] Another factor in delivering a killing shot is penetration ability. This mainly is influenced by kinetic energy, but how sharp and the style of broadhead you use can hinder or help penetration, too on certain bow setups. If you are on the borderline of kinetic energy with your arrows at the distances you are shooting, considering a cut-on-contact broadhead might help allow you to lose less of that kinetic energy on impact and allow you to deliver more of it into your game and penetrate better.

3. Other Factors - Keep in mind the longer your shot is the more chances the animal has at jumping the arrow and for things to go wrong. It's always best to wait for a closer shot when possible. The weather, and wind in particular, is another factor to keep in mind as this also can affect your arrow flight.

With that said, no one can really tell you what distances to hunt with, only you can answer that question. As far as ethical distances goes, take the time with a chronograph and the kinetic energy calculator and find out if you have the ability to kill your game at those distances if you are concerned about it being ethical or not. Chances are if you're above 60# draw weight and shooting a suitable hunting arrow you're good to go at most reasonable hunting distances. However, having the kinetic energy doesn't mean instant kill at those distances, a lot of that is on your shoulders at being able to place a well aimed shot in the killzone on the game and to have the game itself not counter your shot any!

For me with a 45# draw weight, 350-grain hunting arrow, and my current bow setup my kinetic energy places my max hunting distance for a Whitetail Deer at around 30-yards. I however, personally am not comfortable with that distance, so limit myself to 20-yards or less with 25-yards being my absolute max if all conditions are absolutely perfect, which in most cases they won't be perfect enough.
i have to agree 100%!