Old 05-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Bighorn

Default First Target - Hog

If no one objects - I would like to keep a running thread going here of our VERY first hunting trip, not only as a family, but for Cheri and Cale, their first hunt ever! So without further adieu:

Saturday May 3, 2008

We spoke to 4D Outfitters yesterday, and scheduled our hunt with Tina. She is awesome on the phone and was very helpful. We got the Stimulus Payment from the IRS, and it was ear-marked for Nate so... we jumped on-line and this morning we made the arragements.

Dropped a decent amount and paid it in full. I can not tell you how happy that made me! There was a period of time where I thought this just wouldn't happen, but somehow all the pieces have fallen together... and danged if it isn't going to go!

The next order of business was to call Great White Hunter (Kevin) and tell him the good news. If you are new to this forum and haven't yet had the good fortune to speak with him, make it a priority to. He's a great person and always willing to share what he knows. We made arrangements to meet up at some point and he is going to introduce us to some Texas Bar-B-Que. I can't wait!

Cale doesn't know yet that we have paid for the trip, and let me tell you...
I can't tell if I am more excited to see his face or actually go. This kid has turned himself around in the last 5 months, and is growing into quite a disciplined young man. He is definitely not the same kid he was 2 years ago.

Poor Becca... she got her bow in March, but it is a small bow and I seriously doubt it would even register on a chronometer. She understands that she's not strong enough to pull 35 lbs yet, but it's still tough on her to miss out.

They way I see it... this will give her a goal. She's decided she wants to hunt, and she ABSOLUTELY idolizes Vicki. So she can work real hard become more and more accurate with her bow, and when the time comes... she and I will head out to 4D on our own and she can be baptized! (forgive the phrase)

So... that being said... We're off to Sportmans Warehouse to find some VERY light camo gear, and then begin the heavy planning!

I want to thank EVERYONE that has been so generous with their advice, time, and understanding. The list is long and spans the country. Without you all, this would still be just an idea tossed about like so many others Cheri and Cale have had to walk away from. It means the world to us that you are in our lives.

Thank you.

Next update as needed!

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 05-03-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Elk

You are too kind my friend...to kind. I'm looking forward to visiting with ya'll! We'll hang out at Nate's. I'll either help guide ya' some or maybe hunt with ya'll...we'll see.

Finally got Nate over here!

Looking forward for the continuation of your thread/diary here buddy.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Caribou

Rick,

What about letting Becca shoot one with a crossbow or gun, just so she doesn't miss out on the fun? She can still have a goal set to shoot one with a bow once she can draw it...

Just an idea to get the WHOLE family involved.

If you don't have one, I'm sure SOMEONE would be willing to loan her a suitable weapon. I bet a .243 would take out a hog if restraint was used to keep the shot under 100 yards.

Adam

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Bighorn

Yeah I thought about that too, but looking at what the idea... just the idea mind you... has done for her brother, I think its better for her to go through it this way.

1) It'll give her the idea that if she really wants something... earning it through various methods really isn't that bad.

2) It'll give me an excuse to so something with just us. She digs that kinda stuff and I look good! Cheezy I know... but with step kids this age you take whatever comes down the pike!

So... I don't want to come across like I am sumarily dismissing the idea, because I'm not... and I would love to have 4 of us go... but I had to earn mine by going to work everyday and doing my job. Same for Cheri and Cale. To just give her this would defeat the purpose and re-enforce a lot of stuff I've been combating for over 3 years now.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Muley

Hey Rick, between you and I, we have a .243 that we loan out. Think it over but we can try to get her on a meat hog at no further charge. It's stricktly up to you but the offer is there.

Nate
Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Bighorn

Nate,

Cheri and I talked it over, and we both think that if she earns this, it'll mean much more.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the kind offer, and generous to boot. We've almost started plans for next time with just she and I tho.

Plus you're gonna have your hands full with Cheri as it is....
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Bighorn

Default One day and a wake up...

Well... here we go!

They day started off with a phone call from Cheri's boss. Moron couldn't find his butt with a GPS locator and all of Cooner's dogs. So we got up and started packing.

Cale is bouncing off the walls. I've known this kid for 4 years now, and I have NEVER seen him more excited and animated about anything. Cheri got things started in the house by laying out her stuff and gathering our camo gear. Cale and I removed everything that didn't absolutely need to be in the van. Then he vaccuumed the whole thing out and I got to packin it up.

We left the bows out so we can do some more low-light shooting with them later on tonight. Kevin introduced me to something called a Hawg-lite. This is an interesting tool that slips in where the stabilizer connects to the riser. Well... the muse struck me last night... and off to Lowe's we went. I found all the parts to make one, so I made three of them. Man they are cool looking too. Beats the heck out of the electrical tape and flash lights we were trying Sunday night. Here are the things I used and the final product. Kinda proud of it actually.

So... all we really need to do now is pack some clothes, which is almost done, and watch the minutes tick by.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Moose

Holy crap!! Rick, that is awesome!!!!!!!!

You are a man of many talents!

Believe me, EVERY opening day and EVERY out of state hunt will feel like Christmas!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Musk Ox

I hope ya'll get pigs so big that ya gotta rent a UHAUL to get em back home!

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Bighorn

Default Ugh!!!

Man will this day EVER END!!! OMG 4 hours ago I looked at the clock and it was 6:25... Now its 6:30!!

I finally sighted in my bow-fishing bow. That should have taken forever but it didn't! I've thought about repacking the van, but I've already done that! I've checked the batteries in the camera twice. COME ON CLOCK!!!
MOVE!!!

It's not like I'm gonna sleep tonight anyway. I suppose I could go watch the grass grow...