Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > The Season

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Muley

Default Wolf Management and Deer Baiting in Wisconsin

The Conservation Congress of Wisconsin is meeting tonight in each of the 72 counties to discuss a possible season on wolves and the issue of deer baiting. As of right now, the wolf population is at about 550, with DNR goals to be around 350. Deer baiting, as far as I know, is legal in northern counties, but illegal in the south due to CWD.

What are your thoughts on wolves and baiting?

Redeye
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Whitetail

Send a message via ICQ to bucky2fish Send a message via AIM to bucky2fish Send a message via Yahoo to bucky2fish Send a message via Skype™ to bucky2fish

there's a reason why people took care of the wolf pop. in the lower 48 yrs. ago. hunted with wade renfo for caribou in '05. humting fees for most animals $350 plus wolf tag $30. fish and game flew in to check our kills, during our talk with him me siad "if you see a wolf kill it" 3 different times. fish and game want them taken care of. also in fairbanks ak. a wolf attacked a young boy in town lucky his sister got a baseball bat to hit the wolf and it let go her brother. there will be more problems if the pop. rises and they move south and start attacking livestock and pets think about it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Muley

Talking loins tigers and bears oh my

too much of a great thing is never good...there isnt much they cant kill if there hungry ....and people are the only thing that can pray on them when adult.....so we cant just let them go unchecked...when needed i say why not ....keep them under control.................. marty
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Muley

Default Wolf Season in Wisconsin

The congress voted overwhelmingly in favor of a wolf season on Monday night. We'll see how many tags are made available.

My daughter, a big fan of wolves, was really unhappy about this, but when we talked about carrying capacity and the likelihood of more harm coming to a greater number of wolves if a season wasn't put in place, she understood the importance of population control. This was a hard but valuable lesson in wildlife management.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Bighorn

Not many wolf problems here in CO, but the coyote issue is heating up.

We have them listed as small game, and no limit with an all year season. One of the gals at my local Bass Pro goes out every other weekend and had 6 as of February already.

Now our Home Owners Association has set up a meeting with DOW and the members of the HOA to put together a plan of attack. I guess too many pets are either hurt, killed, or just plain missing now.

My wife wants to attend and... "offer our services" so to speak.

No argument here. A little population control is a good thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Not many wolf problems here in CO, but the coyote issue is heating up.

We have them listed as small game, and no limit with an all year season. One of the gals at my local Bass Pro goes out every other weekend and had 6 as of February already.

Now our Home Owners Association has set up a meeting with DOW and the members of the HOA to put together a plan of attack. I guess too many pets are either hurt, killed, or just plain missing now.

My wife wants to attend and... "offer our services" so to speak.

No argument here. A little population control is a good thing.

Same here have a friend and back in February he and his girlfriend shot 13 coyotes in 2 days

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS