Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Elk

Default Nutria - Ever See Them? Fun to Shoot!

Extremely damaging to our marshes and other wetlands. When you see them you should shoot them. Some people eat them. I couldn't stomach that but they are a blast to shoot. Last one I shot in the duck marsh was a 20 pounder! He was a hoss that kept swimming back and forth in front of me at about 10 yards. I couldn't help myself!

Here's a pic of one. Click the pic to enlarge.

Nutria Pic.jpg
It's literally a 20 pound rat!

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Black Bear

People eat those things! Maybe they can come here and hunt the alleys. Fill there freezer with jumbo rats.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Muley

Send a message via Yahoo to ildeercamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd realpolice View Post
People eat those things! Maybe they can come here and hunt the alleys. Fill there freezer with jumbo rats.
Yes I do eat them and yes they are rodents. I also eat tree rats [squirrel] which is also a rodent. They are bought delicious. I was born and raised in South Louisiana they are a big problem. It was a big fur industry in the 1940's to 1970's then the price for nutria pelts hint bottom. A friend of mine in 1969 built a very nice 3 bedroom brick home payed cash by trapping nutria now you can shoot them instead of traps they also sell the meat for dog food and food for gator farms.My great grandfather made a good living hunting and trapping and guiding duck hunters and fishing I know I have his genes. If that time comes I will not starve I eat nutria.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Elk

Yep, they are a HUGE problem here, wreaking havoc on our wetlands. They are fun to watch...kinda look like otters or little beavers til they climb out of the water, then you realize it's a 20 lb rat! They're fun to shoot. I know people who eat them. I also know people who eat racoon and armadillo. I don't but wouldn't be opposed to it. Squirrel is good and so is rabbit. My wife just won't cook that stuff. She can't get what she calls "the image" out of her mind. When I kill varmint like that I generally give them to people at work that make it. Occasionally, they'll bring me a taste. Racoon taste like pot roast to me.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Muley

we have them up here in canada to but they are called muskrats and have a very nice pelt when it's not damaged to much.

diamond black ice
hostage rest
octane quiver
G5 sight
axis n-fused arrows
tekan broadheads

tc prohunter 50cal, and .300 win, 204 ruger
Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Caribou

northern_archer,

Muskrats and nutria are not the same thing.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick