Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Bighorn

Default Shaft question

The first thing I bought when this archery bug hit was a used bow on Ebay. Old... old... old Ben Pearson bow with a draw length of just under 1/3 of a mile. I bought a box of Beman ICS Hunters and given the draw length, I never got them cut down.

Since then I have learned a ton, mainly from you all, and I am wondering if I shouldn't get them cut now. I have a 28 1/2 inch draw on my bow. I moved it up to 60lbs. The shafts are 32" and I used Gorrilla glue to lock in the inserts.

My question is this: Should I cut the shafts down to 29 and have the inserts redone?

My "buddy" at Basspro seems to feel that the extra couple of inches shouldn't be a big deal, but I haven't paper tested these shafts yet.

Obviously I would get some extra KE from them as they are, but is it really that big of a difference regarding KE?

Anyway... There it is.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Moose

I would cut them down that an inch hangs over the end of the rest. Jmo The long length shouldnt hurt anything. But cutting them down will give you a little more out of your arrow.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Moose

Depending on the shaft, I'll typically cut my arrows so they stick about an inch past my rest. I use fixed blades and I like my fingers. The arrows I'm using now are cut to 28 3/4. My draw is 28 1/2 also. I think you'd be underspined with a 32 inch arrow. In other words, your arrows will likely wobble and not group well.

You shouldn't have to glue you nocks. If they slide out, they are either the wrong size or the shaft is cracked. nocks should be snug when you put them in. Sometimes I have to put wax on mine just to get them to slide in. A loose nock is beneficial especially when your groups aren't as tight as you'd like. Sometimes, you can spin the nock and get better flight out of an arrow.

In a nutshell, cutting your shafts to 29 won't hurt and will definitely help your groups. I would cut the nock end, instead of the insert end. Those nocks need to be loose, not glued. Add QuickSpin Speed Hunters and you'll have a bang up arrow that'll drop any beast!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Bighorn

Cool! Thanks so far!

Monie - Good info... I guess I can't think outside the box like I used to. Never thought about the OTHER END OF THE ARROW!!! Duh.

Incidentally... how much mileage can I get out of the "I'm new" thing???

I actually like a little spin in the noc, so if thats the case... so be it. I'm good. Now being new to this, I don't feel comfortable with a normal rest, so the wife and I use a biscuit. Will the quick-spins create problems with the biscuit or vice-versa?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Moose

There shouldn't be a problem using the Speed Hunters with a Whisker or Whisper Biscuit. If you like them offset, I wouldn't go more than 2 degrees and that may be pushing it. I like the Speed Hunters better than the 4 inch Quick Spins, because they fly exceptionally better. If you can, try shooting with a normal rest. You'll be surprised how easy it is. It'll take a few trys to get your form down so your arrow doesn't pop off the rest. At the moment, I'm using a fall away, with bitsy forks. If my form is really sucking I immediately know it, because my arrow takes a dive off the rest.

As far as mileage...oh...you can play that card for a few more years. lol

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Bighorn

When I originally Shot my bow it had a fall away rest I thought was pretty neat, but then it occurrd to me that we would be doind a lot of spot N stalking and I thought long and hard about the stability the biscuit gives. At some point, once my lungs make it impossible to stalk anymore, I'll probably switch. As long as the vanes don't get screwed up too bad I'm willing to try just about any type.

Thanks Moie... I'll look into them!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Elk

I'm no pro archer but the length is affected more in windy conditions. Many tourney archers will use full length arrows in indoor tourneys but used cut arrows outdoors and for hunting. I use a whisker biscuit and love it. It will wreak havoc on your vanes after a while but that is definately woth the security of the biscuit. Biggest problem I have when doing spot/stalk is to make sure your arrow hasn't gotten pushed down into the bristles of the biscuit. Before making a shot make sure your arrow is up on top of the bristles. (there's no smilie for crying!)

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak