Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Caribou

Default Warmin Up the Calls

Anyone else been constantly practicing their turkey calls? Its probably a good thing I live alone or I would be driving someone crazy. Just bought the Primos three pack of mouth calls, they sound great. Forgot to get a new gobble, oh well looks like I get to go to Cabelas again.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Elk

I tried a mouth call once or twice, but I couldn't get it to do right. I might have to go get a slate call this weekend.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:56 AM
Moose

Sure am! The seasons dont get here fast enough though!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Caribou

oh yeah I go between the elk calls and the turkey calls

DOUBLE G OUTFITTERS
Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Elk

Yep, been practicing a lot...my wife hates it. Now I have them in the truck and my duck calls have been moved into the center console until the end of the summer.

I bought one of those Primo's Sonic Domes. Not a big fan. Can't seem to control the pitch as easily as my regular H.S. Strut Diaphram calls (I like my V-Cuts the best). I also seem to cut a little better with my regulars.

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about the Sonic Domes?

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak
Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White Hunter View Post
Yep, been practicing a lot...my wife hates it. Now I have them in the truck and my duck calls have been moved into the center console until the end of the summer.

I bought one of those Primo's Sonic Domes. Not a big fan. Can't seem to control the pitch as easily as my regular H.S. Strut Diaphram calls (I like my V-Cuts the best). I also seem to cut a little better with my regulars.

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about the Sonic Domes?
I use the sonic dome and other regualer diaphram calls, they all have a different sound, which can be usefull. When a tom hangs up try a different call, have had some that wont come to a hen call but charge at a gooble.
SLICK TRICKS
APEX NITRUS SIGHT
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Elk

I think the Sonic dome is the one I have. I can't seem to get it to blow, but I was trying it indoors and trying NOT to blow too hard.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Elk

Hey Paul,

Don't blow. Put that thing in your mouth and say "chick" and let us know if a yelp sound came out. That is how you do a hen yelp.

BTW, practiced a little more with the dome and pitch got a bit better...need more practice with it...not used to the dome.

I have about 10 different calls, some better for cutting, yelping, etc. I pick them up when I can cuz I have a small palate and so those calls are harder to come by. When I see them I get them quick. I like the V-Cuts the best by H.S. Struts cuz they seem easier to cut on and I can go soft or loud on the yelping with a good raspy tone. I usually carry 3 or 4 with me and at least 2 of my favorite in case it gets "too wet."

Paul: Tip - Keep your calls in the fridge when not using them. It keeps them fresh. I keep mine in there in a little plastic case. I also wear a little clip on my hat that holds diaphram calls. Usually one on each side of the bill.

Kevin

Pro Staff: Bowtech, Alpen Optics, ThermaCELL, Hawglite, RedHawk Archery, StarrFlight Archery, ProString, Valkyrie Archery, Global Outfitters, Buck Bomb, Mossy Oak