Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Whitetail

Question Brand new to bow hunting

My husband hunts a lot, and I've done a little bit of deer hunting with him but not a lot, and I want to get started bow hunting but have no idea what I'm looking for with a bow. I COULD take my husband with me to the store to pick one out, but then he'd probably end up with a new bow too and well, he doesn't need it at the moment.

Anywho, I'm not very strong as I had surgery a couple of months ago so I'm trying to figure out what would be a good option for me. I feel silly because I don't even really know what questions to ask, what options I'm looking at! If this is the wrong place to post this please let me know, I'm new to this forum! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Musk Ox

Welcome aboard first off!

Are crossbows legal to hunt with where you'll be hunting? If so, this may be a good way to get started. I've taken to using one because of a bum shoulder and hope to get a deer with it this year.
If crossbows aren't an option, get yourself to a good bow shop and talk with the bowtechs. They can give all kinds of advice, measure you and possibly let you shoot different bows to find something that suits ya. I'd also advise telling the husband of your intentions. He may get so excited about having you hunt with him that he'll forget about himself and concentrate on your bow needs.

hope some of this helps...

Proud Parent of a Marine
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Whitetail

Thank you! he does know of my intentions, but I had hoped to maybe track down a used bow somehow, we can't afford a new one for either of us at this time, so I was hoping to do more of the research before going to the bow shop
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Musk Ox

Give your bowshop a call or stop by. The guys behind the counter may know of someone looking to upgrade, that may have the deal of a life time. The shop may even have a used one or two on the wall.

My cross the street neighbor, bought his son one of the Diamond package deals for under $300. It's one that can be let out as his son grows, draw length and weight wise. I think he got it at BassPro. Pretty nice deal for not too much cash.

Another thought just eased thru my pea brain...Ask the bow shop about left over models from years past. Some of them can give ya screamin deals on them.

Proud Parent of a Marine

Last edited by Va Hunter; 07-29-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Brain fart
Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Musk Ox

Welcome!!!!

You're starting to ask for help and that's a good thing.

Find the best bow shop in your area or has the best reputation for having the best guys behind the counter. Next go in and ask to be measured for a bow, compound bow. Like draw length first off and then see if they have a bow you can try out with the potential legal hunting poundage. The State you live in usual print what the minimum poundage for a hunting bow, typically it is 40 pounds. Once you have done that then you can start reading posts about bows and the accessories before you actually shop for one. One place on the web is Archery Talk . com. It has a classified section that has a sorts of used bows and stuff to check out.

Don't ever stop asking questions cause there is a bunch of stuff to learn about archery and bow hunting. But it is very much a blast so I warn you before you get to far into it that you might think about it alllllllllllllll the time.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Antelope

Welcome to the world of bow hunting! Last year my wife got started into bow hunting as well. I would reccomend that you shoot as many bows as possible to find the one that feels best in your hand and shoots the best for you. Going on price alone can be a bad thing as you may get a bow that is not right for you and it may turn you away from what I call "the most frustrating sport you will ever love." Better to spend the $ now and get get the bow that works best for you instead of buying a bow that you do not like, not getting what you paid on a resale, and then buying another bow that fits you. We looked at several bows and she finally settled on the Parker Sidekick XP (in pink of course). Some of the reasons we went with the Parker are: 1.It was in pink 2. adjustability. No press needed to adjust the draw length 3.It is pink 4. Life time warranty 5. Cuz it's pink 6. Grow up with Parker plan. This is where you can start out with a bow that pulls 30-40#. She currently has it maxed out to 42#. If you work your way to the point where 40# is not enough, you can send the bow to the factory, and for $50 they will put new limbs on that go from 40-50#. 7. Did I mention it comes in pink? 8. Price. It came with sights, quiver, peep sight, and a whisker bisquit. We got a half dozen Beman junior hunters for her and spent less than $400.