Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Whitetail

Default Ralph ? Arrow weight

I have a great friend that is taking me on a montana elk bow hunting trip in middle September. This is my first elk trip. I have read different articles on arrow weight for elk hunting but wanted to know what you think Ralph. I shoot a Bowtec tribute 30in draw with 1" loop at 70lb arrow is carbon express 350 blazer vanes and for broad head 100 grain. Havent decided on broad head just yet. Thinking about steelforce, magnus, hellrazor or G-5 striker. total arrow length is 29 1/8 inches

Is my arrow heavy enough to elk hunt with or should i go up in weight

Thank you
Richard
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Caribou

Richard I think your setup is excellent for an elk, I would strongly suggest the Hellrazors. All of us that shoot them have nothing but good things to say about them. That setup with Hellrazors, would be hard to beat for penetration....maybe even pass throughs!!!

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Musk Ox

My last 3 animals with Hellrazors (caribou, 174" whitetail, & 162" whitetail) have run a total of just over 100 yards after the shot.....including a shot that totally destroyed a front shoulder.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Musk Ox

I'm not Ralph nor one of the posse but my personal opinion is I like the G5 Striker. That is the sharpest blades I have come across and the blades are replaceable and that saves on trying to resharpen another type fixed bladed head. If it were me I'd shoot a 125 grain head to get a bit more FOC. The Striker makes that version.

Oh yeah, have a great elk hunt. I'm envious my buddies wouldn't take me on one.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Whitetail

Bow Drawn, I consider myself very lucky to have such a freind. we are more like brothers than just freinds. Thank you for replies
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Whitetail

Im more worried about my arrow being to light than the broad head at this point. I have a dozen 100 grain hell razors in my case already. 3 steel force and misc others.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Musk Ox

Carbon express makes several shafts in a "350" model. You can look up the grains per inch on their web site to calculate your total arrow weight from that including your vanes, inserts nock and point weight. Then take your approximate speed of your setup and figure your KE. The web site below has some fill-in questions to help you put the calculation together.
Once you have done this you pretty much have answered your question is your setup good enough for elk bowhunting.
http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php
Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Muley

Bigcountry00,

Sorry for the delay, spot on bowDrawn, I would like to know the gr weight of your arrow. We have punched a lot of elk and big bone structured critters and arrow weight is very important to the end results in my personal opinion, for whatever that's worth...LOL
I have always been a fan of a little more weight on the arrow than just going for speed. Your selection on broadheads seems right on, both Vicki & I have shot some BIG moose with lower kinetic energy than you are shooting and had pass thru's using the NAP HellRazors, 100 gr. We really like that head! I can tell you with your set up and draw length you will have NO problem taking out the boilermaker on your 1st elk. Hope this helps and we are pulling for you this fall...