Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Musk Ox

Default Firediver did you get your MOOSE???

I remember you started a thread about your moose hunt in Ontario but did I miss how it end up? How did it go for guys this year in Ontario at Kashabowie Outfitters?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Caribou

They were scared of him, they heard he made some comment about having a crappy season and they know that every time he says something like that, he kills something huge shortly thereafter so they all stayed hidden.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Musk Ox

Warm days and cold nights "killed" us for the second year in a row. The moose did all of their loving at night.

There was fresh sign every day when we hunted but they would NOT respond to our calls.

I've never prepared so hard for a trip.....total bummer to come home to eat tag soup again, but the time spent in camp was AWESOME!!!!!

Some nice bulls killed while we were there...most killed by hunters driving logging roads glassing clearcuts. We chose to stick to calling from a blind on the edge of a bog. This is a very affective technique when the moose are responding to calls.....plus it allows for great footage.

There is always next year!!!

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Musk Ox

Sorry to read you didn't file the tag. I was plugging for guys to get it done.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Musk Ox

So were we Believe me...it wasn't from a lack of effort. We logged over 1000 miles on the truck once we got to camp. Long drives....long walks and quiet sits but the moose just didn't want to play with us.

Weather gets me almost everytime I hunt with an outfitter....2' of snow while elk hunting in September, 100 degree temps while bear hunting in Alberta, tree snapping winds in Saskatchewan, etc, etc

Not gonna' dampen' the spirits though.....I've made new FRIENDS on each adventure.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Muley

firediver,

Did you have a guide alongside you while you hunted or were you self-guiding out of an outfitter's camp?

How far north in Ontario were you? Near Thunderbay or further south or north?

What dates were you in camp? (I didn't read your original post so I'm assuming you were bowhunting)

Were you (or someone with you) calling? What calling techniques were they trying?

Sometimes even when you do everything right and all the stars are in alignment, seems no one may have told bullwinkle about it!!

TBow