Old 01-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Bighorn

Default oats

Does any one here use oats for bear bait,I did last spring with a 5 gal pail,with a little hole in the bottom of it and KFC oil mixed in with the oats.The bears loved it but it was always empty and the pails were all ways wrecked.I was thinking of setting up a barell with oats some how but not sure how to do it.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Caribou

timba, have never heard of anyone using oats before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. think if you soak it in grease, they will eat it. as far as the barrel, get a metal one that you can fasten the lid on and do the same thing you did with the 5 gallon buckets. this time though, chain the barrel to a tree with a logging chain. get a good lock or two. that should take care of the tearing up of the bucket problem. just run the chain thru a couple holes you cut in the barrel.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
timba, have never heard of anyone using oats before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. think if you soak it in grease, they will eat it. as far as the barrel, get a metal one that you can fasten the lid on and do the same thing you did with the 5 gallon buckets. this time though, chain the barrel to a tree with a logging chain. get a good lock or two. that should take care of the tearing up of the bucket problem. just run the chain thru a couple holes you cut in the barrel.

I'll give it a try,I had the pales rachet strapped to the tree and they would ripp them out some how.I have a steel barrel full of oats right now that I can use.

Bears love oats,lots of farmers in bear country hate bears becasue bears play and roll around in the oat fields wrecking the crop.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Bighorn

here's a little guy eating oats from the pale.this pale was just tried to the tree.After I lost a couple pales I had to start strapping them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007spring.jpg (82.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Caribou

we use them the same way in Saskatchewan, oats and restaurant grease. They love 'em! We just use 55 gal. steel barrels with a couple 6" holes cut in them, it lets the bear get a paw full at a time but keeps them near the bait for a while. As said above make sure you chain them to a tree or they'll be gone

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Caribou

timba, sounds like I might have to come up and check your set up out. having never seen bears get into oats before, should be intersting. and of course, since I'm there, maybe I'll just happen to have my bow with me.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM View Post
we use them the same way in Saskatchewan, oats and restaurant grease. They love 'em! We just use 55 gal. steel barrels with a couple 6" holes cut in them, it lets the bear get a paw full at a time but keeps them near the bait for a while. As said above make sure you chain them to a tree or they'll be gone
About how high were the holes?

This baiting bear is lots of learning last spring all I had was 55 gal plastic barrels that didn't have a lid and I went and cut a 2 foot x 2 foot square hole in it.We would load the barrel up meat and 2 days latter before we would get back they were empty.All we were doing was feeding the bears

This year I got steel barrels with lids,so I'm going to have a barrel of meat scraps(6" hole) and a barrel of oats(I'm going to mix cooking grease in with) and run a line with 3 beavers at 8 feet for my bait site this year.Also so far I have six 5 gallon pales of cooking grease.The wife has also been keeping the grease from when we eat bacon over the last year,I'll use that for a burn when I'm in the stand.

And a new bow

Last edited by timba; 01-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.