Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > The Season

Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Caribou

Default Elk - Flat Tops Wilderness Area CO - Help

I'm looking for information on the Flat Tops Wilderness Area for a 2008 archery hunt. Specifically units 25, 26, and 34 as they are OTC either-sex tags typically.

I'm looking for info regarding someone to pack us in / out (outfitter or otherwise as I have my own outfitters tent, stove, etc), elk population, past hunting experience, specific areas to hunt, anything else you'd think would be useful.

Also, if you have another area that you think it worth looking into our criteria for that is OTC Either-sex, and wilderness areas as we don't want competition from guys on 4-wheelers, trucks, etc. if we can avoid it.

Thanks!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Moose

I've heard Sombrero Outfitters will pack you in and out. They also have horses for hire. The only trouble is that you must use certified weed free hay. I believe they have, and can sell you, alfalfa cubes AND the grain their horses require. They also can do drop camps. I believe they have 4 different camps.

If you don't want competition, your best bet is to use LOTS of shoe leather!

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Caribou

Thanks Monie,

Having someone pack us in / out is all I'm really after (and to come get game should we connect). I don't really want to be in charge of horses for a week.

We don't have any problem burning shoe leather, I just want to get us up in as much as possible so most of the shoe leather is AWAY from as many people as possible, not GETTING away from them.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Muley

Thats winterhawk country, I think they do drop camps as well as fully guided
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Feathers View Post
Thats winterhawk country, I think they do drop camps as well as fully guided
Winterhawk is a top notch outfitter here in Colorado. And I am pretty sure that is Winterhawk country!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Caribou

We made a change in plans, we're headed to one of the units near Aspen and just going the complete DIY route. It'll be an adventure and a learning experience, both of which we want!

It's going to be fun regardless!