Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Muley

Default neck roasts

what i like to do with the neck is cook the whole think and make barbecue out of it. i have an old aluminum roaster which seems to cook meat really good.put the neck in with alot of different spices, what ever you prefer,onion salt, garlic salt, pepper, some red pepper,bazil, etc. put some water in and cook for 3 to 4 hours,or until the meat is falling off the bone.strip all the meat off,and throw the bone away. then i shred the meat up however fine you like it. put it back in the roaster, and add more water to what was left in the roaster to about an inch above the meat, and bring to a slow boil. cover and set out in the cold garage, to let the tallow rise and harden on top. then scrape off allthe tallow,drain the liquid,and dump in what ever barbecue sauce you prefer, along with chopped onions and chopped green peppers or what ever you like. simmer on stove until onions and peppers are soft.makes quite a bit , so i'll freeze some in containers and vacuum seal it for later. just something to do with the neck seeing that it's usually the last thing sitting in the freezer. takes a little time to do but it's worth it.what else you going to do on those minus 10 deg. days?----tom p.s. there are some glands in the neck farther down depending on how much of the neck you use watch for them when shredding the meat or cut them out before.

Last edited by encore; 12-08-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Musk Ox

My brother, who makes some dang fine BBQ, goes another step with this one. After the shredded meat has cooled, he puts it in a shallow, metal baking dish and puts the pan and all in a smoker loaded up with hickory. He'll let it smoke for a couple of hours. You've got to watch that the meat doesn't dry out too much. One of his favorite things to use for moisture replacement is a can of Bud!

Proud Parent of a Marine