Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Caribou

Default Awesome!

My trapping partner and I were pulling the part of the line we've had in since opening day yesterday.

We get to the last 3 sets, 2 up on a ridge at a hedgerow, and one in the valley below and I tell Chris that I'll climb the ridge and pull the 2 sets if he'll go pull the last one. I get out of the truck, grab the stake puller and climb up as Chris drives a hundred yards or so down the road.

I get to the dirt hole set and turn my head and glance over to the hedgerow and see a flash of black! Then I see something thrashing around and a black coyote head pops up over the top! HOLY!!!!! I have nothing but the stake puller, I left the .22 in the truck with Chris! I call him and say "THERE'S A BLACK YOTE IN THE HAYSET! I'm NOT KIDDING!! GET BACK UP HERE WITH THE .22 NOW!!!!" I soon hear a truck door slam, the truck fire up, gravel flying, and as the truck flies into view, and slams to a halt as Chris bails out and comes running up the hill! haha Needless to say we were pretty excited!

We got him in a hayset with fox pee, using 4-coiled Bridger #2's and had him by BOTH front feet above the pads. He wasn't going ANYWHERE!

We weighed him at home and verified the weight with a dumbbell. He tipped the scales at 50 lbs! A really nice, big, jet black dog with a white T on his chest!

Here's a couple pics!

Me

Yote knowing he's been had

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Musk Ox

I've never heard of a black coyote..

Good job guys!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Caribou

There are red ones as well. All I know of as far as "major" color phases are the typical tri-colored, red, and black.

Chris and I have caught 3 coyotes spanning the last 2 seasons so far. The first, tri-colored. The second, red. And now a black one!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Musk Ox

I had 3 coyotes come under my stand in Indiana.

They come unglued when there hear a bow being drawn back!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Moose

Thats awesome Adam! You need to come down here and show me how its done.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Black Bear

I'm just getting fired up to start around my dad's place for coyotes. have had awesome luck there in the pass with snares as it is legal there to use them, and very effective as well once you get on to it. Have used afew leg holds in the pass with limited success.

Going to re-dye all of my traps today. And start to set them out tomorrow most likely for beaver, otter, mink and muskrats might even set up afew traps for coyotes if I get the chance.

Matt