Go Back   Archer's Choice Media Forums > Hunting Forums > BND - Bear'N Down

Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Muley

Default Anyone been to upper...very upper Saskatchewan?

Going to Carswell lake in May 2009...anyone know anything about this lake and area?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Bighorn

I googled it but can't find it any were.Is it north of la ronge?The father in law has a cabin west of la ronge( on besnard lake) and there is a pile of bears there.

timba
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Muley

I am told this is above the Cluff lake mine. Supposedly at the end of the road. I talked to several references who said it is a 4 hour drive on a dirt road at the end of the world. The bears? Unreal reports is what i am getting. I have hunted in Alberta and manitoba every year and have had some ups and downs with outfitters. Trying Saskatchewan for the first time next spring.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Musk Ox

Well La Ronge seems like the end of the road when driving up north from Saskatoon. It's around 4 hours driving time too. I've hunt bear there fall and spring season but I flew out of La Ronge N.W. to a great outfitter with lots of bears and grand fishing.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Drawn View Post
Well La Ronge seems like the end of the road when driving up north from Saskatoon. It's around 4 hours driving time too. I've hunt bear there fall and spring season but I flew out of La Ronge N.W. to a great outfitter with lots of bears and grand fishing.
just before you get to la Ronge if you headed north west for 1.5 hours that where the cabin is.That is a long drive that I wouldn't want to have truck trouble on.

timba
Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Muley

This is about 6 hours north of Buffalo Narrows...I believe that La Ronge is more central, this is Northwest. It is the most northern road on the western portion of the province. Evidently, there are a couple of uranium mines along the way. Absolutely no towns or settlements on this lonely dirt road. As a trophy bear hunter, this of course translates into utter remoteness and zero hunting pressure. All of this added together becomes a great combination for trophy bear.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Musk Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
just before you get to la Ronge if you headed north west for 1.5 hours that where the cabin is.That is a long drive that I wouldn't want to have truck trouble on.

timba
That road I remember seeing Timba. There isn't many turn off once you're up there. And I agree once you leave off that main drag your in back country. We flew over some small roads going out to the lodge and nothing around them, not even a building or home.

Same as what broadfieldpoint is saying
Quote:
All of this added together becomes a great combination for trophy bear.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Bighorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadfieldpoint View Post
I am told this is above the Cluff lake mine. Supposedly at the end of the road. I talked to several references who said it is a 4 hour drive on a dirt road at the end of the world. The bears? Unreal reports is what i am getting. I have hunted in Alberta and manitoba every year and have had some ups and downs with outfitters. Trying Saskatchewan for the first time next spring.

That is a long way north were will you fly too fort McMurray then drive across in to sask?

There should be a lot of bears that far north,if you come straight south for 16 hours(drive) on the map to llyodminster I hunt bear just 40 min north of there.

timba