Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Antelope

Default Raccoon Trapping Questions

Well, I just got my trappers safety done with this year, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on trapping raccoons. I have 12 160 conabears and 6 Lil' Griz traps.
Thanks!

2009 count
1 bear (bow)
1 turkey (20 gauge)

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com
Old 10-12-2008, 05:23 AM
Moose

I am no trapping expert. Im sure Adam will be on here and give you some good tips. My favorite and simple setup I put aluminum foil on the pan of the trap and set it in shallow water. This works well for me.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Caribou

Look for trails leading into corn fields, some maybe deer trails, but that doesn't mean coons aren't using them. Pay particular attention to the trails that look like tunnels coming out of brush. Look for tracks and scat.

Look for trails running parallel to streams as well, particularly at the top of a steep bank and also along the waters edge where a sand or gravel bar peters out to a steep bank. That will force them into the water where the bar runs out. Put in a blind set there for sure!

Any place that you determine is good enough for 1 set, put in at least 3. If it's LOADED with sign and you immediately think "I need at least 3 sets here!", put in 5-6. Coons travel in groups alot and want to have traps ready to catch them when the come through!

You're going to get the occasional oppossum, muskrat, mink, and maybe even a fox, plus incidentals (cats, dogs, squirrels, etc) in some of your traps, and you don't want them "plugging up" all your steel when the coons come through.

Set a place for a week and then pull out and move on unless your still consistently catching. Just get the cream of the crop, and move to new turf. And don't just move to the opposite side of the field, move to a different property where you're targeting new coons. Coons are smart, once they figure you out, it doesn't matter how long your traps are there, chances are, you aren't going to catch one of the ones that's onto you.

Good luck!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Caribou

Check this site out, LOTS of info there for kids (and adults for that matter!) regarding getting started in trapping!

http://www.traps4kids.com/

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Musk Ox

Congrats on passing the Safety Test!! I'm a Tree them rather than Trap them type person. Adam gave some great advice on where to find trails. Good Luck!

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------
Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Antelope

thanks for the great advise. and that website!

2009 count
1 bear (bow)
1 turkey (20 gauge)

www.bigwoodstaxidermy.com
www.bigbearscents.com
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCooner View Post
Congrats on passing the Safety Test!! I'm a Tree them rather than Trap them type person. Adam gave some great advice on where to find trails. Good Luck!
I agree, I am not big on conabears.. (coondogs worst enemy)!!!!!! i dont mind leg hold traps!!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Whitetail

Bucket sets work awesome here in IL, where theres lots of corn fields/timber lines. your 160's will work fine. just cut notches in your bucket so that the conibear sits tight. (if youre not sure what im talking about i have pics i can send you). Placement is key with this type of set. you want to place your buckets along fencelines that border corn fields, along timber/crop lines, or anywhere good coon trails are present. i bait with dry catfood mixed with a little fish oil. Have fun!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Black Bear

I havent trapped a bunch I have mostly been hunting constantly, but when i do trap this way worked the best for me, Use the phrase "Coon Track, Coon Trap" If you have coon tracks put the coon trap on the trail. I also put crappie fillets as bait its very shiny and will catch the coons attenion. We did this the night before and set out only three and caught two and the other one was triggered when we checked it the next day. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.camospace.com/Nebel

Hoyt Powerhawk 56#
NAP Quiktune Drop away
TRUGLO Micro Brite 5 pin
Easton Camo Axis and ST Axis
NAP Hellrazors

Ameristep Youth Pro Staffer
Spittlers Game Calls Pro Staffer

Member of the NWTF

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.