Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Moose

Default PA's posse archery season

Day 1 morning didnt turn out the best. We busted the deer going in to our stands. Also had a unexpected rain. I did manage to win my game of Madden football though.

Evening
Didnt have a whole lot of action saw 4 does and 1 buck. youngbuck and I were in the treestands. Holly had a camera setup in the first row of corn. Something spooked 2 deer and they went runniing along the corn. They literally almost ran Holly over! I thought it was my lucky day. Other then that no deer really were within 50 yards. We will try again Monday. I want to do some scouting tommorrow and hang some stands.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Caribou

Like NJ, you can't hunt Sundays. I hate that. Good luck Monday!

George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock1776 View Post
Like NJ, you can't hunt Sundays. I hate that. Good luck Monday!
You aint kidding! Dumbest rule ever!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Black Bear

Can't hunt on sunday in Va. I think it stinks.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Musk Ox

Can't hunt on Saturday either when you wife buys tickets for the whole family to Hershey Park and tells you about it on Thursday!!!!!

The kids had a blast and it turned out to be a great day.

I was thinkin about ya bull!!!!

Standin in line for cotton candy!!!!
Slick Trick 85 grain
HHA Single Pin Sights
Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Caribou

About the same results as my day.

I had a doe around 30 yards and a spike at less than 15 in the morning and saw another doe and fawn while walking out.

In the evening I sat in my ground blind with a friend to film him, and AFTER we got into the blind, I found out the battery was dead and I'd forgot the spare!

So, I just kept him company for a couple hours. We didn't see anything though.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Whitetail

We have been lucky enough to have a good beginning to our archery season here in Ohio. My wife/usual hunting/video partner, Danielle, is 2 weeks from her due date, so she really can't hunt much right now, other than from a ground blind, so she's only been out once, for an hour.

I have hunted once (opening evening), but have been filming for others quite a bit. Opening weekend (Sept 27th) was slow. Opening morning, we saw 3 fawns. Opening evening, I had 5-1 1/2 old bucks and 1 fawn walk past. We were after does, and they didn't cooperate that weekend.

On Thursday, October 2nd, I filmed my good friend Mike Cunningham and his 8year old son, Jarett, hunting from an Ameristep blind. That evening, Jarrett shot an 8 point, his first buck ever. He was, of course, ecstatic, as was his dad.

Saturday evening, October 4th, I filmed my friend and cameraman Jimmie Fouts shoot his first deer with bow, a mature doe.

The next evening, October 4th, I was filming my sister, Jill Garrison, and she shot a nice 11 point, her biggest buck to date.

I feel priveleged to have been there to share in all 3 of their hunts and lucky to capture it all on film, as well.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Moose

Day 6

Well it was really warm again! Saw a ton of squirrels and a house cat. Holly called me off we were out of camera light. Of course 2 doe came within about 10 yards. i did have my pin on the big one. But it wouldnt have been on tape. Well at least i know what a deer looks like again.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Moose

Day 7 morning

What an awesome morning we had. We hunted this one particular stand for the first time this year. On our way in we busted deer at our stands again! It wasnt long after light we heard the turkeys talking. Here we were in the middle of there roost. About an hour went by and we had some deer moving in. The lead doe was about 20 yards I was at full draw and Holly went to swing the camera and one busted us. We had no idea there was a deer behind us. So that game ended pretty quick. There was a total of 4 does. About an hour passed by and Holly said there is a buck of in the distance making a rub. I went to hand her the binos and within shooting range another buck appeared. It was a nice 8 point and I was going to shoot him. I finally thought I was going to get a deer on my B-day! And a nice buck at that. He wasnt a monster but I would have been more then happy. He came within 15 yards I was at full draw and ready. All he needed to do was take 5 more steps to the left and we would have a clear shot for the bow and camera. Well he turned and walked the other way. I had the pin right where it needed to be but the shooting lane was tight. Holly also did have a good view with the camera so I let down. It was tough but looking back at it I made the right choice. We wouldnt have got the footage we would have been happy with. But more important I really didnt feel it was the right shot. To many things could have happend in that tight lane. All in all it was a great birthday morning hunt. Not sure where we are going tonight yet. I have some ideas but none in stone. Oh I forgot we saw 2 deer at a distance later on in the morning.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Musk Ox

Bull,

Don't ever beat yourself up for not taking a shot. If you were hesitating, there was a reason for doubt. Ya done good!

Proud Parent of a Marine