Old 08-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Musk Ox

Default My first food plot!!!

I've always wanted to put a food plot in this area of the farm I hunt but couldn't access it with the equipment needed to do so. Well...this area was logged out last year and the loggers made a new road.

So, starting early tomorrow....I'll be a food plot plantin' fool

The land owner had already mowed down the tall grass last week so all we need to do is spread some 13-13-13 and till it up. The seed of choice is Evolved Harvest's Shot Plot which contains forage brassicas, including rape and turnip varieties. It is supposed to grow 24" in 45 days. This should be a good late season feeding location. FYI...the plot will be 1/2 acre in size.

Here are some "before" pictures. For reference, my truck is facing east. I would like to place a stand on the south side of the plot but there is not a single good tree in this area.

There are plenty on the north side so I will just have to be careful with the wind. I expect most of the action to approach from the east so the prevailing north wind should not be a problem as long as I don't let approaching deer cross my scent.

The back corner of the property where my truck is facing used to be my favorite spot on the farm. It is a textbook funnel....well, it was a textbook funnel. This area got logged hard and several big walnuts are gone. (At least I don't have to wear a hardhat in this area any more)

There is a potential for the wind to swirl in this area. If this happens, I'll just have to back off the food plot and intercept deer on their way to it....as long as the loggers left me a decent tree.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Caribou

Good Luck with it
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Caribou

Looks like a honey hole in the making
NAP Spitfires
Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Moose

Good luck! We were thinking of planting the shot plot also. I guess tommorrow we might just have to do that. Let us know how it grows for you. Did you check the PH of the soil?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Musk Ox

PH....whats that????

Seriously, I didn"t check the PH. Putting the plot in was a last minute decision and I don't have time this year to treat the soil properly if needed. Next spring I will get soil samples and treat accordingly.

I was going to apply Gain to the soil before planting but the store was out. Once the plants start growing....I'll put a gallon on the plot.

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Musk Ox

Here is what our hard work produced today.

#1...a view of the food plot after we seeded and "dragged" it and just before we rolled it.

#2...a view from the direction I expect most of the action to come from. The red arrow is pointing to the stand. There is an 8' drop just off the edge of the field with a nice creek at the bottom. The stand is in a tree about 10 yards from the edge of the food plot and we can get a 40 yard or less shot in 80% of the field. It is 35 yards to the opposite side of the field. Our final 50 yard approach to the stand will be in the creek to minimize a scent trail.

#3 & #4...views from the stand

REAL PEOPLE.
REAL HUNTING.
REAL ADVENTURE.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Black Bear

Scott you'll like the shot plot its great and if you like turnips you'll have plenty to eat if you don't get a deer. If the store has it get a bag of the buckin oats and put them on the side next to your stand just mix them in with the shot plot or I put them in first because they need to be covered a little deeper then after covering the oats broadcast the shot plot on top and let a rain put it in the loose soil. The deer love the oats early here and will funnel through the turnips to the oats for a good shot. At least thats how I set ours up for early bow season .