Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Caribou

Default Getting ready?

Anyone else getting their gear in order?

My trapping partner Chris is coming over tomorrow night so we can sort through our traps and see what all we need so we can get them tuned and then dyed and waxed.

Trapping doesn't start until mid-October, and I'd rather start in November, but I have a couple farmers all but begging me to start taking coons ASAP. So, I'll probably oblige and get some as soon as the season opens before the corn comes down.

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Moose

I will start after archery. Maybe you guys can post some picks of ways to set for fox and coyotes. When it comes to trapping I dont know much. I would like to get more involved with it this year.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Caribou

Do you have good, strong traps? 4-coiled #2's (at least) with a lot of trash clearance, and springs that come up high are about as close to a "must" as there is for coyotes. The buggers are just plain strong and have no qualms about completely destroying your trap.

Other "musts" (at least to me) is to have three swivels on the chain so it's less likely to bind up and cable stakes (the bullet head style). You need to cross stake rebar, and long rebar at that, to hold yotes and with a cable stake, I can use just one about 12-18" long and hold them no problem.

These traps will work for foxes and not tear them up much either. If you don't have solid traps, coyotes will just frustrate you to no end because most of the time, even if you connect, all you're going to have is a catch circle and a destroyed trap.

If you've got, or if you get that, you're ready to TRY and trap yotes! haha

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Bighorn

Man I can't even get time to go up and scout for you. Things have been CRAZY around here! Between the kids and the bow issues, work, etc etc etc... I'm going to be lucky if I get a once-over done while packing the night before we head out. I need to hire an assistant...

Oh this is trapping... oops!
well too late now...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Caribou

Chris and I inventoried our gear last night and got all the traps wired up in bunches of 3 to dye and wax.

We need some "dogs" (triggers), some pans, a few crunch proof swivels, J-hooks, dip (for our conibears and strictly coon traps), dye and wax and we'll be in business!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Muley

all packed and ready for the Wi Grouse Opener , Sept 13th ,

hunt"m" up....knock "m "down

Good Luck