Thread: elk hunting
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Caribou

Are you looking into a DIY or outfitter based hunt?

If DIY, do yourself a favor and subscribe to Eastmans Hunting Journal or Eastmans Bowhunting Journal. As far as I'm concerned, they're the leaders in big game hunting out west. In the subscriber edition of their magazine ONLY, they have a MRS (Member Research Section) that details several states each month. It goes over things like tag fees, application deadlines, population numbers, areas to concentrate on, areas with best trophy potential, etc. Basically, anything you want to know.

Other than that, I'd suggest getting on some the states DNR website and start reading. That's what my brother and I did to research our hunt and then we started making phone calls. From the sounds of it, we chose a pretty productive unit in Colorado for a DIY hunt. Come September, we'll find out how well we did for real!

"I suppose it's the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick