View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Caribou

Generally a good rule of thumb is the higher the better but a lot depends on situation and your comfort with heights. The majority of my stands are close to 20 feet, however I've had stands I use for gun season where I'm set off a trail or on a field edge so the deer are at a distance that have been 8-10 feet up. On the other extreme I've got stands in big trees that are 25-30 feet. The biggest thing to take into account when setting your stand is available cover, you can be 30 feet up a tree but if you have no cover (branches/leaves) you will get skylined and any movement will get you picked off or you can also be 10 feet up in a really thick well concealed stand and never get busted. Another thing to think about is shooting lanes. When I pick the tree I'm going to set a stand in, I'll set up my ladder stick or rapid rails and start to climb. As I reach what I think is my desired hunting height I'll start to look at available shooting lanes if nothing is available I may go a little higher or lower to take advantage of openings that are already there so you don't have to trim as much.

Don't miss the new epidsodes of ARCHERS CHOICE. Mondays at 10:00am, Tuesday at 6:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 est!!