Thread: Mea Culpa
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Bighorn

Default Mea Culpa

I’ve taken a long time away from here to sort out a lot of things that life has thrown at us this past year. Jake has eaten rocks, his latest just this week has left his life hanging in the balance. Cale has become enamored with a young lady and engrossed in the daily drama that consumes all teens. Cheri’s grandfather passed away, my father’s health is slipping, as is my own. My brother took a job in northern Pennsylvania and our stays there in Grand Junction on hunting trips will move with him and his family. We missed the deadline for deer hunting licenses anyway. I found that a friend from long ago passed away at the young age of 39. She was too young… so… I suppose that’s just one more thing.

It seems as if every time I get the energy to pick up and move forward, something gets in the way and drags me back down. I managed to pick up my bow a few weeks ago. I loosed a few arrows in the basement, but my shoulders hurt like crazy. I guess those torn rotator-cuffs I wanted to heal haven’t done so yet… ::heavy sigh:: Just one more thing…

I wanted to re-read the hog hunting and deer hunting adventures I shared on this site a couple of years ago, and as I read the stories and the posts from folks, I felt the blood begin to flow again. I envisioned every arrow we released into the wild and relived moments I wasn’t able to include in those passages. It felt good to get there again, even if only for a moment. It felt good.

As I finished the Second Target: Colorado Mule Deer thread, I realized that a lot has happened even since then in our little patch of the hunting world; things that I have failed to share. I promised folks here that I would… and I failed in that. So… here I am at the keyboard, attempting to make good on those promises, as best I can.

After the deer hunt in September of 2008, Cheri and I assigned ourselves a mission of sorts. We were going to take a deer the next season and it was going to take an act of God to stop us. As the year closed itself out, my boss assigned me to a project that really wore me down daily, and my energy levels dropped… and dropped… and dropped. In addition to that, I took on a new role on another site and when I wasn’t creating an archive at work, I was building a new version of that site. My only time outside of the hunting world was my time at work, and soon, as was bound to happen sooner or later, those worlds collided.

I stopped shooting the bow all together around October of 2008. Cheri did as well. There the bows sat in the garage until February of 2009. We had planned to return to Texas to give Cheri a chance to avenge her O-fer in July, and, admittedly, I needed another chance too. Once again, fate conspired to foil our trip, but being fickle and a touch evil, it stopped taunting us and the trip was back on. This time… with a twist.

In addition working on the other site, I got the chance to work closely with another hunter who has been filming his own hunts since he was a little guy. He taught me a few things about filming, and I taught him a few things about getting them on a website. In our numerous conversations, we created a plan that would bring him from Illinois and us from Colorado, down to Texas. He would film and we would hunt. He was especially interested in filming Cheri and Cale. Hey… why not. They make a good story. What I wasn’t sure about was leaving Becca behind again. It just wouldn’t be fair to her. So… I did what I said I wouldn’t do.

I asked Cheri to force the issue and see what Hunter’s Education classes were available… and what it would take to get Becca into one. I fully expected to hear that classes were full until July… and we did… sort of. It turned out that although classes were full, a very generous man made room for her, and she passed the class with a 96. As a reward, she received her crossbow. Julius Caesar is supposed to have spoken “The die is cast.” when crossing the Rubicon. The phrase is meant to impart a meaning that an irrevocable decision had been made, and there was no turning back. That’s where we found ourselves, and frankly, I’m not sure I would have wanted to at that point even if I could have.

Next Post - We embark on antother...

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 04-16-2010 at 11:58 AM.