View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Antelope

Send a message via ICQ to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

I make a few recurves and longbows per year.(ok allot)
The biggest thing(s)
#1 Picking a bow that's too heavy for you is the biggest problem people have.
People think, I draw a #70 compound, so I can handle a #55-#60 recurve or longbow. In reality, nothing is farther from the truth.
Compounds hit #70 for a 2-3 inches of draw, then the draw weight drops of drastically to a holding weight of #18-#23. With a recurve or longbow it won't reach the given weight till you reach 28 inches of draw.
AND there is NO let off, if it's #55 your holding 55 Lbs

First suggestion....
Start with a light bow, I'm talking #38-#40! Forget the Macho ego stuff, Start with a light poundage bow and get your form established.
Form is 90% of Traditional shooting the other 10 % is mental. Once you get your shooting form established then move up in weight.( you will always be working on your form!) There's always someone looking for a lighter weight bow TRUST ME!!

Next thing is the grip of the bow, The bow should fit you, not you fit the grip. it should have a natural feel and the be a extension for your arm.
Try this, lay you arm on a flat surface palm up, see how the hand is slightly bent and not in line with the arm? The grip should do the exact same thing. A bow with a med grip fits better than the usual high grip you see on recurves.

This is the one place (besides Pope and Young)where size matters. Get one with a comfortable grip... Period. If you have to readjust and wiggle your hand on the grip to get a comfortable grip, it's not right for your hand.

Handle plenty of bows, draw them and hold full draw for 5 seconds. if you don't shake and bow feels good, then it might be a contender for a hunting bow.

Hope this helps, There's plenty more, but this will help you pick out a bow that will possibly shoot well for you.

Then work on shooting in this order.... form, form, form

Good habit are easy to start, Bad habits are hard to break!

Then go out and have fun and 'Fill the sky full of holes"

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.