Thread: Newbie Help
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rick View Post
Y'all are goin about this completely wrong.

This is all you'll need for a beaver trap:

1 disco ball
3 or 4 game cameras - with flash - not infared
a 4 x 4 foot dance floor
a boom box that plays CD's.
6 or 7 small tables and stools.
LOTS of booze. We all know what alcoholics beavers are.
2 reams of colored paper and an out of work college student.
1 printer.

Hang the disco ball on a limb over your dance floor. Set the tables and stools around the dance floor. Do all this preferably close to a fallen log that you can use as a bar. Hang the game cameras all around the dance floor. Print up a ton of fliers to have the out of work college student post up all over the place.

Once word gets out about the new beaver bar... you'll be over-run. Wait for the little boozers to pass out, then have the college student pick them up off of the ground and you're done.

Now if the college student flakes out on you... all is not lost. You simply grab the box you stored all this stuff in and convert it to a coat-check room. No muss - no fuss. The beaver simply check's his or her pelt at the "door"... and off you go. You may want to rent a wolf or a coyote. Why?? Well to act as the complaints manager/scapegoat when the beavers want to file grievances about their missing coats of course.

For the ones that don't pass out, you can clean up on them because you can use the sim cards in the game cams and charge them $10 for a picture of themselves on the floor shakin that beaver money-maker, or when the mayor of beaver town is caught with beaver town floozy... blackmail photos.

No busted fingers... you spilt the revenue from the pelts/photos 80(you)/20(him or her) with the college student.

The beavers win... the student wins... you win.

Slight modifications can be made for deer season. Instead of an alcohol bar... you make it vegan.
Rick, you are sooooooo not right! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJewell View Post
Rick get your mind out of the gutter, she's talking about the other beaver. LOL

Monie; just depends on the area an the number of animal living in it, I usaully can set 6-8 in an 2 hour period depend on what property I'm at that day. Try targeting all species also as this will allow you to have more traps in an area. Beaver, Coons, Otters, Muskrats and Mink all co-exist in the wild so they all can be trap pretty close together.

Once you have your first traps set you can add more each time you go back till you have the number of traps you want out. WHen checking you line you might want to have an back up plan for the kids because things don't always go the way you want either.

I was called in to an property to do some nusience beaver removal afew years ago, I set 8 conibears in about 400 yards of flooded creek bottom took me about 2 1/2 hours before I left I already had an muskrat. Finished setting at around 6pm went back the next afternoon as I was in the area, 7 of the 8 were fired with 6 Beaver and 1 Muskrat in under 24 hours of them being set. Also that same day checked other traps I had across the road (5) had another Beaver and two Otter there. Needless to say I was busy for alittle while after that Even dropped afew off at my Dad's for him to do for me because it was just to many for me to do at one time. Never had an other night like that in the last 3 years. Just like deer hunting sometimes everything just comes together.
Matt

So, you skin them right there? I was thinking about just emptying the trap, resetting and do the skinning at home. Is that something that is best left in the field? I wondered what to do with the carcasses. Do people eat them?

http://www.huntsd.net/

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

http://www.purgatoryironworks.com