View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Whitetail

Default Finally got word on my Black Bear from Nova Scotia

Here is what was said from the outfitter and wild life officials in nova scotia

Well just got this news about the bear i shot with my bow in Nova Scotia this past fall.
Hey Bud,
Finally got some news about your bear....The Official People said it was Indeed a brown phased bear.Check out the end of your topic here to see what they said.Again congrats on Killing only the second color phased bear ever in NS.
First...."""""".It is certainly a brown phase American Black Bear (Urus americanus ) . As I mentioned on the phone, brown coat color is a recessive trait in black bears, appearing more frequently in central-western NA where there are more natural grasslands and open hillsides. With more brown in their habitat, being brown there is an advantage for blending in to its surroundings. Here in the east with our thicker forests and under story, it is more advantageous to be black. Over thousands of years the brown phase trait has become a rarity in the genetics of our bears.
Cheers
TN """""""""
Anthony (Tony) L. Nette
Manager, Wildlife Resources
Wildlife Division
136 Exhibition Street,
Kentville, Nova Scotia
Canada
B4N 4E5

Secondly.........."Thanks for the photos Todd. That certainly is an unusual bear for Nova Scotia,
or eastern North America. We seldom hear of a brown phase black bear here,
though they are very common in West Canada
In my 35 years in this business (10 in the Yukon, 9 in East Slopes of Alberta
and the remainder here) I have not seen or heard of a bear with white claws..
Also interesting in what you told me... that the other bears at the bait seemed
to be shy or afraid of this fella.
Thanks again.
TN
Anthony (Tony) L. Nette
Manager, Wildlife Resources
Wildlife Division
136 Exhibition Street,
Kentville, Nova Scotia
Canada
B4N 4E5

So TunaT looks like you got yourself a "brown colored bear" I spoke with Tony today on the phone,he said this bear should be advertised in the Nova Scotia area.Worthy of some Magazine coverage is what he also said.I also gave him permission to use your bear pictures in his seminars.He also said that NS keeps NO RECORD of such things,but said the big game society of Nova Scotia would be very interested in this bear as they are the only group that keeps such records.If you'd like I'll contact them?I've also spoke with and showed these pictures to two Conservation Officers one with 33 years on the job.Both said they had never seen anything like it in Nova Scotia.I'm also awaiting the reply from a wildlife biologist here in NS.
Looks like you done something out of the ordinary while here.Congrat's yet again The following are the only pictures I have sent around to these folks