View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Muley

Hunting for sheds is a great outdoor pastime and also helps to collect information on game you hope to hunt the next year. Early spring in northern locales, when there is just an inch or so of snow still left on the ground, can help as antlers will stick up above the white cover. In my area, we have a lot of cedars which are big winter deer yard areas. They're good spots for hunters in my region.

Here's a little trick I read about that will help to gather sheds. It should be done in late December or January. Drive 6 or 8 three foot spikes into the ground near any winter feed areas. Keep the spikes about 24" above the ground and make sure they outline an area about 3 feet wide by 8 to 10 feet long. Take some chicken wire or mesh and place it over the top of the spikes and wire it to them. Then place some feed, like corn, under the chicken wire down the center from one end to the other. Any bucks sticking their heads under the chicken wire to get at the feed, will likely get their antlers caught in the wire when they lift their heads to withdraw. At that time of year, it might just be the nudge needed to loosen those antlers allowing them to drop off right under the mesh. If the antlers get caught but don't want to come off, the mesh is weak enough to allow the deer to pull free with relative ease.

Your shed hunting area would be relatively small. Like a 3' X 10' area.

Just a word of advice, I have never tried this method, but if I chose to try it, my first step would be to contact the regional game commission to see if it was legal.

TBow

Last edited by TBow; 03-15-2009 at 11:21 PM.