View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Caribou

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarr

Sigh. Well y'all obviously knew I made blackberry jelly over the weekend. 19 pints down, 1 1/2 gallon of juice to go. Plus 2 1/2 gallons of plum juice, and a gallon of mixed juice (one bag of blackberry juice and one bag of plum juice thawed and ran into the bottom of the tub I had it in). So, two recipes for y'all.

Blackberry Jelly
3 1/2 c. juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 pkg. Fruit Pectin powder
5 cups of sugar

Put juice, lemon juice, and fruit pectin in boiler. Bring to a rolling boil and add all of the sugar at one time. Bring to a rolling boil again, stirring constantly, boil for one minute. Let it sit until the foam is firmer then skim off of the top. Put in jars and seal (lids in hot water, dry them off and put rings on after you have made sure there is not any juice on the rim of the jar). Turn upside down and cover until cool (I check mine the next day to make sure they have sealed).

Blackberry Cobbler (my grandmother's recipe)

1 stick margarine
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
Enough sweet milk to make a thin batter
Sweetened Blackberry juice (enough to cover, I use at least a quart and NO I don't use the berries—I don't want to crunch a cobbler!!!)

Put margarine in a 9 x 13 glass pan and put in the oven on 350 degrees, you want the margarine to melt.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk together. Pour into pan after margarine is melted. Pour juice over and around the dough mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually poke a few holes in the dough with a fork and pour more juice (until the dough is almost floating) over it right out of the over. After it has cooled it will be so moist and juicy!!
-- Lucille Ball

Last edited by TxStarr; 03-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.