View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Musk Ox

Question Wounded Deer Question

First, I didn't wound any deer.

This happened on the opening day of Gun Season. I was sitting in my stand all morning and then my Bro in Law decided to join me on the property. So I got out of my stand and came back to the house as I would need to show him where his stand would be. As I got back to the house I looked out the window and noticed a small Brown Blob clear in the back of our field oppisite of where my stand is, but close to where I was going to stick the BIL. I watch it for 10-15 minutes, it's just laying there, not moving. I figure we have a dead deer, probably a fawn. The BIL arrives and I tell him that I would drive him back on the 4-wheeler and get him in the stand and we'll also swing over and see if this brown thing is indeed a dead deer.
So we hop on the 4-wheeler and we get about half way back there and I notice the dead deer picks its head up! I slow to a crawl and tell the BIL that he may have to finish this deer off. (He's never shot a deer before so he was elated that he might have one of his tags filled already) I no sooner finish that sentace and I notice that the deer tries to get up. I stop the 4-wheeler and say we'll have to walk the rest of the way and get behind this deer so we don't spook it too bad before we finish it.
I'll be darn if that thing didn't get it's feet under itself and start running for the woods before I even put it in park.
It appeared that it had a busted front leg as it zipped away. I could also see it was probably a 1 1/2 yr old buck.

Here's what I don't get. Why would this deer lay out in a wide open field? It had woods on 3 sides of it, all within about 100yards and also a brush pile within 50yards. I've never seen a wounded deer lay in the open like that. Just didn't make sense to me.

-----------------------------
I'm Proof As To What Little Girls Are Made Of
**GUNPOWDER & LEAD**
-----------------------------