View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Whitetail

Default Guides story of my hunt in nova scotia

Yip, There is video Dawgs.I had my camera rolling and so did Darren{TunaT},I myself don't have the means to get it from my tape to the PC.
Darren{TunaT} is now on his way back home,I've got a minute so I'll post some of what he and I did during his visit.He arrived in NS,at 2am on Friday morning.We went to camp from the Boat and sat and talked until 5am then back up and at the bait running by 8am.We got back in time for some early supper and off to stand we went,by the end of the first evenings hunt we had saw 7 different bears and we "think" 8 or 9.We kinda lost track as they came and went.But we know there was 6 on the bait at once and one "hung up" behind us.I had asked Darren when he arrived in camp what he was hoping for or what he would be happy tagging,he told me he'd like something close to 300lbs.
So as the bears where coming and going on Friday night we'd watch em as "size" them and nothing seemed to be of the weight Darren was looking for,so after sometime had passed Darren poked me and pointed to the right,now I'm perched in a hangon stand about 3 feet higher than Darren in his laddersatnd.I couldn't see what he was pointing at until it was almost under us.At first glance I thought this bear has been rolling in some dirt or soming "off" colored,but after it made it's way out into the open and I/we had time to look it over good,I said to Darren "I think thats a color phased bear" as it made it's way around the bait site and the sun hit it I could tell instantly that it was in fact a color phased bear and I began to tell Darren how "odd" that is for NS.I went on to tell him that I had only ever heard tell of one color phase ever being taking in NS(it's in the big game society book}and was hoping with Darren getting this information he might tag this bear.But he just shock his head and we watched as these bears feed at the site and came and went.I could tell after that first night on stand Darren meant what he had said about 300lbs.He had more determination than I did at this point ....I'd have tagged out right there and then.But it wasn't about me it was Darren and his hunt.
The following day,we rebaited and checked into some possible stand sites that I think or know holds something 300lbs.Anyway night two rolled around to wet and wind,not really a good bear "day",at sundown we had spotted not a sign of a bear,day 3 was Sunday and there's no hunting on Sunday so we did our run of the sites and then visited with all that camp to meet TunaT.Monday night found Darren in a ground blind due to the "heavy gales of wind" that where passing through this area,again Monday night showed no bears.
Tuesday night however would prove to be our night,no wind and perfect conditions,after talking it over with Darren we decided we'd end it where we started off,as last night would be Darren's final night on stand.just a mere 12 minutes after Lady Trapper dropped us off and drove away Darren pokes me and points,right away I see movement out walks one bear then another.We both could tell right away that Darren wouldn't be taking a shot at these two,they where much smaller than what he had set his mind on,they made there way passed us without s much as looking sideways at the freshly baited site.Huh I thought,kinda peeved the Ol'Trapper off as these two passed my bait by like it wasn't even there.
About 30-45 minutes later we spot movement again this time a little bigger movement but still not what TunaT was looking for.Here we are now fast approaching last legal light for shooting on his last evenings hunt,when up through the same trail as on Friday night comes the color phase bear,now in the low light this bear just looks like a decent bear,but as it passes under our stand I motion for TunaT to shoot it when ready,we whisper back and forth a few times{me mostly trying to hear Darren}then I start to glass this bear and I instantly recognize it as the color phase,after some watching and waiting Darren decides to take the bear.He made and excellent shot on it with his Hoyt bow and bear the bear leaves the barrel I say "dead bear" about 25yards away 30 max we see the bear pile up and begin the death moan,now it's time for congrats and hand shakes.I call Lt from the stand and tell her to come fetch us and bring the game cart with her.I'll let TunaT tell the rest of it but............ I would like to mention that I was very pleased and honored to be able to guide TunaT{who BTW is heck of a guy} you decide which way that might be as he tagged such an odd colored bear for Nova Scotia.Great guy and a heck of a hunter,don't know many guys that live in NS that would pass on such a bear much less think about doing the same thing again on the last evening of there hunt.....CONGRATS TUNAT,'
Been our honor to host your hunt and spend sometime with ya.Watch out fer them sharks

ps...I should mention that the bears color as I see it is dark chocolate with "reddish" guard hairs.These picture are nothing in compair to the actual bear