Thread: Grumpy old man
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Bighorn

HA!!

Out of Highschool I worked as a Cable TV installation contractor. We would work MANY hours a day because were paid by the job. Sometimes you worked a few hours and had pay for the week, other times you worked all week and only made a days pay. When times were slow we did what's called "Ups & Downs" Upgrades and Downgrades of service.

Now in those days, things weren't controlled by the converter box like they are now. We had what were called Band-Pass filters on the lines and if you wanted HBO, well we slipped a filter on. The filter would pull that signal in, clean it up, and remove the interference. There were other devices called negative traps, that would then add interference to the line, and block that channel. Fun stuff. So I bring all this up so I can add context to this story.

Around 9 pm one night my buddy Jeremy and I (funny that) were doing ups and downs to fill in a slow week. He was in a rough part of town doing a downgrade/disconnect and I was on my way to help him with what he called, "A tough one". I got to the house, grabbed my tool belt, and locked up all my valuables. Here comes Jeremy running like his butt was on fire! Instinctively, I grabbed a roofing hammer I kept for... situations... out of the back of my truck and stood my ground.

From the back yard his 28 foot ladder came flying out of the darkness followed by a string of explitives I've never heard one person put together since. Lights go on all over the place and heads pop into windows. "She's (edited) nuts! She's gonna kill me man!" Jeremy said.

The gate was kicked open just then and I turned to see the biggest woman I have ever seen in my life, bare as the day she was born except for something on her head {I found out shortly it was a shower cap being used as a hair net (???)}, and she's chugging out the backyard for a piece of Jeremy. He was on one side of my truck, and I was on the other with her.

Momma wasn't playin now. I tried like heck to negotiate with her, telling Jeremy to shut the (edited) up before I moved out of her way and let her have him. Ever tried to talk down a huge pissed off lady who really wants her cable tv? I eventually got her to calm down and listen, then the police showed up and she let us do our job.

I still don't know what Jeremy said to light her up but she was ready to kill him.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 09-03-2008 at 12:40 PM.