View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Bighorn

Depending on your KE, we found that the beloved slick-tricks were not as effective when released from a less powerful bow. Tricks are without a doubt an awesome broadhead, don't get me wrong. I've heard stories of them being shot into a gun safe wall. (No... it wasn't me)

What we learned when we went to Texas to hunt hogs, was that a good, cut-on-contact head will do the trick no matter what. My son shot a raccoon with a Slick Trick, but dropped his hog with a HellRazor. Both were clean kills with a 38 lbs bow.

My wife shot a few hogs while we were down there, but the best results we saw came when she shot the cut-on-contact Eastman Gametracker broadhead. She had the wrong shafts in the first place, and that was my fault, but the heads were all wrong for her set up too.

I would say that if you have a bow that shoots fast and you are getting good KE from the arrows and the bow, well then use either. I am sticking with a cut-on-contact broadhead from here on out though.

Feral Hogs, unlike deer, are CONSTANTLY on the move. Kevin will agree with me here: It's not unusal to draw a few times, then come back down. They don't stop out of curiousity when you grunt at them to see what that was. Generally, they will bolt. They may present a good shot opportunity for half a second and then take it away just as quickly. When you shoot, you want to make sure your hit is as solid as you can make it.

Last edited by Colorado Rick; 08-07-2008 at 10:54 AM.