Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   User's Hunting Diary (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   start of my 2008 spring bear (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=922)

timba 04-27-2008 04:46 PM

start of my 2008 spring bear

5 Attachment(s)
Well me and the hunting buddy went out to put our baits in the forest yesterday and we got a shock of how much snow was still up there.We started out try a new area were we were last summer and it seemed like a good place to set up baits.Well after a few hours of quading around looking for signs of bear(there was nothing)we decided to go set up the baits and we had 4 sites that we wanted to use 3 of the 4.Every one of them a outfitter had set up on:mad:.We had nothing now so at 5pm we took off loking for another place and we mangered to find 2 that seemed like they might be good.

We headed back to the truck loaded up both quads and went to head back and at the start we had to cross a low lying area and not knowing it was frozen water that was cover in snow I broke through with my front tires.
So I'm standing there looking at what happened and the next thing I know I broke though the ice like a rock up to my waist:eek:

It scared the crap out of me,we then realized it was a beaver run not wide but deep,we could get a cross but weren't sure if we did set up if we would be able to cross there in 2 weeks after the snow melted.So we went on another drive looking for a another spot about 9pm 10 kms for the truck we had to call it quits and had to head home with the bait till my next set of days off in 2 weeks:(

1st pic-my girl helping me make popcorn for the bear bait
2nd-heading out that morning
3rd-the snow when we got there
4th-taking a break(hunting partner)
5th-unloading the quads

timba 04-27-2008 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my quad broke through the ice.

more to come in 2 weeks when we head out again.

ACPOSSETIM 04-27-2008 04:57 PM

is that a stand on the left in the 3rd pic?

oakcreek 04-27-2008 10:58 PM

It looks like a sign on a tree.

brizzy 04-27-2008 11:05 PM

wow that is alot of snow im sitting tomorrow hopeing that big one comes in bits are being hit quite steady already:)

timba 04-27-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brizzy (Post 11532)
wow that is alot of snow im sitting tomorrow hopeing that big one comes in bits are being hit quite steady already:)

You must be on the east side of the province right?I heard that they are hitting the baits over there good.I was just north of llyodminster.

brizzy 04-29-2008 01:20 AM

i had a black in tonight buddy had a nice blonde in i guess i chose the wrong site and yes im in the south east Timba

oakcreek 04-30-2008 12:47 PM

If you could get into the low lying area sound to me like the place to be, away from any possible intruders

timba 05-01-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakcreek (Post 11729)
If you could get into the low lying area sound to me like the place to be, away from any possible intruders

Ya that was the same thing we were thinking,I going to try and sneek out of work early saturday and try to find a way in.There is 2 good spots there and the one little trail hasn't been travel by a quad in looks like a few years.