Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Watch Your Step (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Coon Invasion (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916)

ACPOSSETIM 04-26-2008 09:11 PM

Coon Invasion

Any tips for baiting a coon into a live trap? I've got one in the walls of one of my sheds, I've been trying to give him an acute case of lead poisoning but he's not cooperating:rolleyes:! I'm borrowing a live trap from a buddy and was wondering if anyone has a foolproof method of getting him in there?

TLC 04-27-2008 08:20 AM

asked the in laws and they said go with a can of tuna. pop the top and watch them come a runnin. leave it in the can though. that way they have to go inside to get it. the older and smellier it gets, the better.

marty planz 04-27-2008 12:47 PM

apple sauce

if you live in an area that has lots of cats..tuna would cause problems with cats...and some dogs...apple sauce works on coons,possems,rabits,muskrats,beaver and the pesky homeless people.....doesnt draw as meny flys eather.... marty:rolleyes:

Adam 04-28-2008 01:24 PM

Marshmallows and grape jelly

Or

Feed corn dumped on the ground so they are occupied with pulling it through the grate in the bottom of the trap and hit the pan that shuts the door.

Or

Anise on a foil ball in the trap

BRIAN34 04-28-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 11584)
Marshmallows and grape jelly

Or

Feed corn dumped on the ground so they are occupied with pulling it through the grate in the bottom of the trap and hit the pan that shuts the door.

Or

Anise on a foil ball in the trap

marshmellows and grape jelly work good, also try canned corn with sugar on top.....that really works!!!

OhioCooner 04-29-2008 08:14 AM

Bunch of good idea's already mentioned! We use the Tuna in our feeder buckets, they come looking for it real good!
Have also used the Marshmallows, they love those too!
Pretty much anything you use will get them. I've done almost anything imaginable.
Old Stale Cookies
Old Cupcakes and Cake
Baked Potatoes - They Love them!
Sugar Wafers
Banana's
Cat Food
Bread
Hard Boiled Eggs

They are not picky!! Here's what I do that seems to help the ones that have already been trapped.
Leave a trail of goodies to the trap. Just a couple little pieces and about 5-10 feet from the trap and then another small chunk right in front of the trap. THen place the rest in the back behind the flap/trigger. THey'll get a taste of what you have then get greedy and go after the rest in the trap.

BRIAN34 06-19-2008 08:51 PM

Leave a trail of goodies to the trap. Just a couple little pieces and about 5-10 feet from the trap and then another small chunk right in front of the trap. THen place the rest in the back behind the flap/trigger. THey'll get a taste of what you have then get greedy and go after the rest in the trap. [/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]
sounds like you have done this a time or too......lol:D

TxStarr 06-20-2008 08:29 AM

My dad uses cat food!! They are coming up on his porch eating his cat food so he baits the trap with the cat food. Last Sunday he caught two in one night—heard the first one about 9:30. The other one was in the trap the next morning. Within the last month he has also caught a skunk and several possums.

bearhunterfromthestart 06-20-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM (Post 11443)
Any tips for baiting a coon into a live trap? I've got one in the walls of one of my sheds, I've been trying to give him an acute case of lead poisoning but he's not cooperating:rolleyes:! I'm borrowing a live trap from a buddy and was wondering if anyone has a foolproof method of getting him in there?

if u mix fly bait and coke in a bowl that takes care of racoons. no need for a live trap. n if u have cats, dont worry bout it b/c they can cough it up before it kicks in.

OhioCooner 06-23-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRIAN34 (Post 15281)
Leave a trail of goodies to the trap. Just a couple little pieces and about 5-10 feet from the trap and then another small chunk right in front of the trap. THen place the rest in the back behind the flap/trigger. THey'll get a taste of what you have then get greedy and go after the rest in the trap. [/COLOR][/B]

sounds like you have done this a time or too......lol:D[/QUOTE]

Just a time of two...:D