Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Quackin' Up (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nutria - Ever See Them? Fun to Shoot! (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788)

Great White Hunter 04-08-2008 04:21 PM

Nutria - Ever See Them? Fun to Shoot!

1 Attachment(s)
Extremely damaging to our marshes and other wetlands. When you see them you should shoot them. Some people eat them. I couldn't stomach that but they are a blast to shoot. Last one I shot in the duck marsh was a 20 pounder! He was a hoss that kept swimming back and forth in front of me at about 10 yards. I couldn't help myself!:D

Here's a pic of one. Click the pic to enlarge.

Attachment 465
It's literally a 20 pound rat!:eek:

cpd realpolice 04-09-2008 07:43 AM

People eat those things! Maybe they can come here and hunt the alleys. Fill there freezer with jumbo rats.

ildeercamp 04-09-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpd realpolice (Post 10150)
People eat those things! Maybe they can come here and hunt the alleys. Fill there freezer with jumbo rats.

Yes I do eat them and yes they are rodents. I also eat tree rats [squirrel] which is also a rodent. They are bought delicious. I was born and raised in South Louisiana they are a big problem. It was a big fur industry in the 1940's to 1970's then the price for nutria pelts hint bottom. A friend of mine in 1969 built a very nice 3 bedroom brick home payed cash by trapping nutria now you can shoot them instead of traps they also sell the meat for dog food and food for gator farms.My great grandfather made a good living hunting and trapping and guiding duck hunters and fishing I know I have his genes. If that time comes I will not starve I eat nutria.

Great White Hunter 04-10-2008 10:05 AM

Yep, they are a HUGE problem here, wreaking havoc on our wetlands. They are fun to watch...kinda look like otters or little beavers til they climb out of the water, then you realize it's a 20 lb rat! They're fun to shoot. I know people who eat them. I also know people who eat racoon and armadillo. I don't but wouldn't be opposed to it. Squirrel is good and so is rabbit. My wife just won't cook that stuff. She can't get what she calls "the image" out of her mind. When I kill varmint like that I generally give them to people at work that make it. Occasionally, they'll bring me a taste. Racoon taste like pot roast to me.

northern_archer 08-13-2008 08:40 AM

we have them up here in canada to but they are called muskrats and have a very nice pelt when it's not damaged to much.

Adam 08-13-2008 10:48 AM

northern_archer,

Muskrats and nutria are not the same thing.

Va Hunter 08-13-2008 12:06 PM

A Nutria is like a muskrat that been eating steroids for years. They're considered vermin here in Va. That means no season, just kill 'em. There aren't any on my side of the state, only over on the coast.

northern_archer 08-13-2008 08:32 PM

my bad they look so close together

Adam 08-14-2008 09:21 AM

Yeah, size wise, it would be beaver, nutria, muskrat, 3 different species though.