Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkey Talk (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Taxidermy tip.... (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752)

firediver 04-03-2008 10:39 PM

Taxidermy tip....

For those of you thinking about getting your bird mounted this year, there are a few things you need to know in order to deliver a "prime" specimen to your taxidermist.

Most importantly.......DON'T SHOOT THE BIRD WHEN HIS TAIL IS FANNED OUT.

Once you shirt your bird.....get to him ASAP and either pin him to the ground or hold him up by his legs. Most damage to the bird will take place if he is allowed to flop around on the ground.

Now when I say pin him to the ground....don't do it with your boot. He will surely pull away from you and you will be left standing there with a bunch of turkey feathers under foot.

Once the turkey has stopped moving....you have time so make sure to get some great hero shots for your photo album. Oh yeah....don't forget to post a pic on this forum as well.

When transporting the turkey home, keep him in a cool dry place. Before you head home...wrap some paper towel around the head to keep blood from getting on the feathers. If there is a lot of blood coming from the mouth, stuff some paper towel in it.

Next contact your taxidermist and ask him what to do next. I prefer skinning them when they are still warm but your taxidermist might want it frozen.

Good luck!!!!

firediver 04-03-2008 10:45 PM

....one more thing. If your turkey is damaged....a lot of things can be repaired or replaced. Replacement heads and tails are a piece of cake and good taxidermists will even replace lost feathers.

HuntnMa 04-04-2008 04:42 AM

thanks for the tips..........

Adam 04-04-2008 10:11 AM

Say you had to freeze your turkey whole before getting it to a taxidermist for whatever reason. Would it be wise to put it in a womans nylon stocking / pantyhose like you would with a duck or pheasant?

(Heck I don't even know that you could stretch one that much?! :eek:)

I would think so but, you're the taxidermist, so what's your opinion?

Moon 04-04-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 9869)
Say you had to freeze your turkey whole before getting it to a taxidermist for whatever reason. Would it be wise to put it in a womans nylon stocking / pantyhose like you would with a duck or pheasant?

(Heck I don't even know that you could stretch one that much?! :eek:)

I would think so but, you're the taxidermist, so what's your opinion?

I've had Taxidermists go both ways on the stocking/pantyhose thing on birds. I've been shopping around for a new family taxidermist to do our family mounts recently because our old one's work started going way downhill the past couple years, so I've been asking a lot of questions to various taxidermists and the turkey field care questions were on my list of questions.

The majority of the taxidermists were okay with the pantyhose thing, but said to be very careful when handling the bird once the stocking is on it. They instructed me to only ever hold it by the feet and never grab it anywhere there is feathers or to hold it by the end of the pantyhose or anything along those lines and to minimalize moving the bird around too much once the pantyhose is on it.

While on the other hand a few of the "bird only" taxidermists that I ran across were against the pantyhose thing for any of the birds they mount (waterfowl, upland birds, and turkeys). Their reasoning behind it was something along the lines the feather tips will be damaged by the pantyhose and then it makes it so much more harder for them to get the feathers to perform correctly and look nice again. They said the tips will be inclined to poke through the pantyhose and then if the bird shifts inside the pantyhose that it can bend, break, or fray the feathers. Their recommendations were to use bags and to layer the bags and use rubber bands to keep the bags tight and the feathers laying down flat on the bird and to handle the bird by its feet only.

So, my recommendation would be ask your taxidermist that deals with your turkeys what his preference is on the pantyhose situation. That way you are doing what they prefer and won't annoy the taxidermist accidentally. The taxidermists that were against the pantyhose said they charge extra if the person brings in the bird wrapped in pantyhose because of the feather damage and extra time needed to repair the issues it causes.

I'm really not sure what's the best with or without pantyhose wrapping, but I can see the logic behind the explination I was given to why not to use pantyhose, but not sure how much damage that really causes to use it and if the damage is enough for me to visually see on the mount or just something a professional eye would only pick up on. Me personally I just do the process that the taxidermist I plan to use tells me to do with field care. :D

Adam 04-04-2008 12:45 PM

Excellent Moon, thank you.

Hoosier Huntress 04-04-2008 06:30 PM

I have had lots of luck using ladies panty hose (do I need to say ladies??? are their men's panty hose??? if so, I don't want to know) anyway, if you go to dollar general store and get QUEEN size that worked best for me. My taxidermist told me to tuck the head back up under the wing feather, after I wrapped it in paper towel or something. We had no problems doing it this way. What do you think Firediver, would you recommend panty hose.

firediver 04-04-2008 06:49 PM

No need to wrap in panty hose or......manty hose;)

Wrap the turkey in a garbage bag and you will be just fine. You can protect the tail feathers my making a protective sleep out of two pieces of cardboard taped together.

If the bird is going to be in your freezer for an extended length of time....wrap it with bubble wrap.

bowing4bulls 04-07-2008 10:55 AM

Hey very good info thanks