Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ranch hunt opinions (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695)

cpd realpolice 03-26-2008 11:32 AM

Ranch hunt opinions

Just wondering what everybodys thought on fenced ranch hunts are? The reason I ask is I'm looking for something to hunt during my vacation in November. My Bison hunt fell through because my buddy decided to redo his basement and tells me he wont have the money for that hunt. Most deer hunting guides are really high cost here and I'm saving money for elk next year. I'm thinking of going to Nuges ranch for Russian Boar, but I'm not sure whether or not ranch huntings right for me. I do however feel as though after an unsuccessful bear hunt it would be a good oppurtunity for me to harvest an animal (other than duck or geese). Just wondered what everyones opinion is since I respect the members here.

huntquest 03-26-2008 11:49 AM

I am an outfitter from Colorado and have always hunted spot-n-stalk!

One of my clients that hunts with me every year owns a fenced ranch in Texas and I hunted there last fall. I had a blast and it wasnt an easy hunt. I did shoot a nice whitetail buck with my bow and I am planning on going there again!

Enjoy my friend and lets support all types of hunting as long as it is legal!!

timba 03-26-2008 11:51 AM

It depends on what it is deer,elk I would never support but boars I would hunt if it was in a large area.

timba

cpd realpolice 03-26-2008 12:18 PM

It would be boars.

pbg40g 03-26-2008 02:08 PM

My 2 cents...

I figure if it's legal, then it's OK for those who want to hunt high-fenced areas. I would prefer that the fenced areas be a larger size, like at least 1000 acres if they are high-fenced, to give the animal a sporting chance. Also, some disabled hunters may not have a chance to actually take a deer, elk, etc., otherwise.

But anyone who would drug animals in small pens (10 acres or less) just so some hotshot could take a trophy doesn't deserve to own the 10 acres!

huntquest 03-26-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbg40g (Post 9203)
My 2 cents...

I figure if it's legal, then it's OK for those who want to hunt high-fenced areas. I would prefer that the fenced areas be a larger size, like at least 1000 acres if they are high-fenced, to give the animal a sporting chance. Also, some disabled hunters may not have a chance to actually take a deer, elk, etc., otherwise.

But anyone who would drug animals in small pens (10 acres or less) just so some hotshot could take a trophy doesn't deserve to own the 10 acres!

The ranch that I went to in Texas was 1250 acres!

It was alot of fun but nothing compares to hunting at 10,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies!! (for me anyways):D

Bow Drawn 03-26-2008 03:58 PM

You know at Nuges place in Michigan you're hunting animals that can't be found running outside a fence because they are not feral hogs. He's got Russian or European line of boars. There's a difference. Any other boar hunt is a razor backs or feral hogs. Nothing wrong with shooting either just some good bacon. Personally Russian boars make a great trophy too.
I look at high fence if it's legal and the animals are capable of running away then it's a hunt. I have only hunted animals I can't hunt in the wild very easily like exotics. Go have fun.

bullmoose38 03-26-2008 06:24 PM

Go for it! Only one thing though... We need to see pics of you with your pig.:)

cpd realpolice 03-26-2008 11:40 PM

Will do. Those russian boars are pretty cool.

ACPOSSETIM 03-27-2008 12:51 AM

check out http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com/ I had a couple friends go there a couple years ago and had a great time! For the money you can't beat it, they had tons of different species and lots of quality animals too. They have everything from hogs to water buffalo. They have 2 areas to hunt, I think one is about 750 acres and the other is 1300 ( I think)