Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hog'N Down (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Guidance (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676)

Colorado Rick 03-22-2008 01:03 PM

Guidance

Ok so the wife is all fired up ready to plunk a piggie. We are setting up the hunt in Oklahoma (Sorry it's not in Texas Kevin, but you suggested Oklahoma so... Also big thank-yous to Hunting Ma and Hurricane Creek for their input:):) ).

We've been practicing on static targets for a while now and once we got her sight problem fixed, she's spot on. All that is left is to get with it and go. Before we do though... I would appreciate any input you all can give us as to what to really expect.

Through reading GWH (Kevin's) Posts, these things are fun, but when things go south... they really go south. Hopefully you've had a chance to read my earlier post regarding "candor among strangers", so those that have know the story with us. I gues if things really fall apart, I mean like a charge, or incredibly tough tracking, etc... aw heck..... no more bush beatin!

WHO'S GOT SOME TIPS FOR A NEWBIE!

thanks!

HurricaneCreek 03-22-2008 02:05 PM

I can't offer much on tips, but I worked in a hog confinement operation for a couple years and have a nice scar down the back of my leg from a boar, so I definitely know what they can do :eek: The first time I was down to OK (the place I told you about), we mostly did spot and stalk due to the weather. None of us had a problem with the hogs charging EXCEPT my boyfriend shot one and it didn't go down as fast as he thought it should (he's a perfectionist:rolleyes:) so he went after it. That hog got mad, bristled and turned to charge. He got lucky and shot it again and it went down. Down there they have a tracking dog for those where you might have an "iffy" shot and the hog don't go down. That dog will bay them up and the owners will take care of the hog. I'm sure some more experienced people on here will have some good input. Other than that, all I can say is learn to shimmy up a tree really fast :D

Great White Hunter 03-24-2008 08:04 AM

Here ya go:

In OK it might be a little more difficult if the hogs are nocturnal because OK doesn't let you hunt at night. If they are moving during the day it will likely be at dawn or at last light...or during the coolest part of the day moving into the Spring.

I would expect that wherever you go they have cameras set up and will give some idea as to feeders being hit, times, etc.

Be flexible! I've never known hogs to maintain a pattern for more than a couple of days at a time. This is one reason the are so difficult to hunt...they're next to impossible to pattern with any measure of reliability...bottom line - hogs do what they want when they want.

Don't put too much stock into the idea that hogs can't see. They can see, not as well as deer and other animals but they definately aren't as blind as many would have you believe. You still need to break up your silhouette and remain very still.

They are very aware of their environment and small changes to it. Put a ground blind up...and they won't come in if it's not brushed in very well...they'll stand there and look directly at you at 60 yards for minutes at a time (That'd be great if you're rifle hunting, but really sucks when you have a bow in your hand!).

If you can, be elevated. Hogs have a lot of fat on their necks and have a very difficult time looking up when close to your stand (but far off they can see you up there). If the hogs are use to the stand and they don't wind you you'll probably be in good shape.

That brings me to my next point. Scent is key. Hogs have an incredible sense of smell. They can wind you like nobody's business. IMHO their sense of smell is superior to those of Whitetail deer. Wash your clothes in scent control. Keep spray close until you get up in your stand. SPRAY EVERYTHING. I use scent eliminating soap, deodorant, etc. to control my scent. I also use those little disks on my hat. I use the Fresh Earth cover scent disks. They are great.

USE THERMACELLS. Once I forgot my thermacell and had hogs all around me for an hour. In that one hour I received over 400 mosquito bites! I have never had even one bite while using my thermacell and it doesn't spook the animals.

Don't hunt alone (my wife would laugh if she read this because I do hunt alone a lot) but don't follow my example...in fact, I need to change my ways. Hogs can be VERY territorial (especially a sow with little piglets in tow) and VERY agressive. Living here you here story after story and see scar after scar from hog charges. Several months ago my buddy was charged by a 600 lb boar from 30 yards. Week before last one bit his hand and another tried to get on his 4-wheeler with him. Be prepared to get out of the way...but don't be afraid to hunt them (generally they're just trying to get away). The danger and the intelligence hogs possess are the two greatest reasons I enjoy hunting them more than deer.

Shot placement is important. With a rifle sows get it in the head (preferably behind the ear - you won't have to track them). Boars (because I want to keep the skull if it's got nice cutters) I generally shoot in the shoulder which undoubtedly involves tracking. I shot a 300 lb boar and shattered his shoulder and took out both lungs with my .300 weatherby last year. He still went 100 yards on me and there was very, very little blood to follow. I didn't find him until the next morning (It was night time the night before when I shot him). They are incredibly tough. A good outfitter will help you track your animal or will have dogs that can track well.

Many times when hogs are shot with a bullet or an arrow their holes get plugged with fat and leave a bloodtrail all but gone. It's not uncommon to make a good vitals shot and not have a bloodtrail to follow at all.

When the hog leaves your sight after a shot, wait a good 30 minutes or more before stomping through the thickets. You may find more than you're ready to find...like a really ticked off wounded boar! More importantly, when they're hurt they get into the thickest stuff possible and if they're not down and your tracking them you're just pushing them deeper and deeper into the junk you can't physically get through.

Regardless of whether your using a bow or a rifle, you have to shoot more forward on a hog than you would a deer. Many times what would be a perfect shot on a deer would be only a wounding shot on a hog. You either want to shoot at the crease right behind their front leg or drill them right through the shoulder. The heart sits behind the front shoulder (with the armor plate) and low. A good sharp broadhead will penetrate that plate. I just go right for the shoulder. Even if I don't get the heart I've take out his lungs. Remember, shoot forward!

Most importantly, have a great time, build lasting memories, and use it as a chance to show your wife their is so much more to life than what she has been given in previous years of oppression.

I want to see some pics, hogs or not!:D

Feel free to post or PM me if you have anymore questions.

BTW, don't know what your wife's poundage is but I've seen hogs taken at 35 lb draw - Doesn't take a whole lot but you have to have razor sharp broadheads. They're hair is so coarse that one shot will leave a broadhead in need of sharpening before being used again.:eek:

Great White Hunter 03-24-2008 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this pic for you compliments of my friends at another local hangout "Texasboars.com" where I am also active. I hope it helps you make a good shot.:D

Warning the picture is graphic.

Attachment 416
Click to enlarge

Colorado Rick 03-24-2008 10:29 AM

H/C. No problem. The place you suggested looks GREAT! I called him this weekend and got a start. He says they dropped a 345lb-er Saturday, Man o man! It looks like there are plenty of trees around! Guess if we had to... we could come out of tree-climbing retirement! :D:D

Kevin... what can I say... You're a treasure-trove of knowlege my friend. Thank you very much! Someday I'll have to get down there and shake your hand, sir. You can count on as many pictures as I can snap.

So... with the help of the kind and generous people here, I believe her first hunt with take place in her home state, in the company of a great outfitter/ranch, sharing the experience with her son (his first hunt too)... and best of all... 2 days before her birthday!! :D:D:D

How cool is that?!?

Thank you all very much. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to repay you!

Great White Hunter 03-24-2008 10:32 AM

If I ever get up there you can tell me where the Elk and Mulies are.:D:cool:

burrhead 03-24-2008 10:41 AM

Don't know if i can give much guidance,:confused: but i do know that we had a ham for easter from the hog i shot a couple of weeks ago and it was probably the best ham i ever ate:D My local locker did a awesome job, as usuall.:cool: Hope you have a good hunt and some good eats.:)

Colorado Rick 03-24-2008 01:05 PM

Nice! Made all the better because it's your harvest I'm sure!

Kevin - My brother in law is on the western slope and he has all the skinny. You say the word and I'll square you up!

Colorado Cheri 03-24-2008 02:26 PM

I would like to say thank you to all of you that have replied to request for guidance in hog hunting. I had gone hunting only once for deer when I was younger and I loved it. I never thought I would ever be able to it again and especially go hunting for pig/boar. I always dreamed about doing it but never new how to get started until I met my husband and he helped me bring my dream out. I am glad that you all are out there and are willing to help new comers understand what to expect and how hunting pig/boar can go. Again thank you to all of you. I hope that one day my husband and I can meet you all. :)

Great White Hunter 03-24-2008 03:11 PM

Cheri:

First, welcome to our little brown chunk of space! Glad to have you and looking forward to your posts/pics, etc.

Second, that's the way it works with us. We share because we have been shared with (paying it forward so to speak). Us hunters got to stick together. I am always anxious to share whatever limited knowledge I may have especially where women are involved. It's important to grow interest and participation in our heritage, especially for women. I wish I could talk some sense into my wife. She comes from a hunting family but has absolutely no desire. It's a real bummer. She's great and I love her more than life. Just wish I could share this part of my life with her. Ricks a lucky guy.

Sounds like you're a lucky girl too!;) Everyone deserves a chance at a life with positive flow...there's no rewind button. Git' ur' butt out there and park somethin' in a tow-away zone!

God gave us these gifts for a reason...enjoy the pursuit and the harvest amidst all of His great works. There's nothing better!

Oh yeah. Try Slick Trick broadheads. They are AWESOME! No Broadhead tuning required. Where you're shooting your field points is where you're Slick Trick will go. I love them and they're pretty cheap! They're on Ebay too.;)