Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkey Talk (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Warmin Up the Calls (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650)

burrhead 03-17-2008 09:23 AM

Warmin Up the Calls

Anyone else been constantly practicing their turkey calls? Its probably a good thing I live alone or I would be driving someone crazy.:D Just bought the Primos three pack of mouth calls, they sound great.:cool: Forgot to get a new gobble, oh well looks like I get to go to Cabelas again.:eek:

pbg40g 03-17-2008 12:03 PM

I tried a mouth call once or twice, but I couldn't get it to do right. I might have to go get a slate call this weekend.

bullmoose38 03-18-2008 03:56 AM

Sure am!:D The seasons dont get here fast enough though!:(

bowing4bulls 03-18-2008 10:24 AM

oh yeah I go between the elk calls and the turkey calls:)

Great White Hunter 03-20-2008 10:59 AM

Yep, been practicing a lot...my wife hates it.:D Now I have them in the truck and my duck calls have been moved into the center console until the end of the summer.

I bought one of those Primo's Sonic Domes. Not a big fan. Can't seem to control the pitch as easily as my regular H.S. Strut Diaphram calls (I like my V-Cuts the best). I also seem to cut a little better with my regulars.

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about the Sonic Domes?

burrhead 03-20-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great White Hunter (Post 8926)
Yep, been practicing a lot...my wife hates it.:D Now I have them in the truck and my duck calls have been moved into the center console until the end of the summer.

I bought one of those Primo's Sonic Domes. Not a big fan. Can't seem to control the pitch as easily as my regular H.S. Strut Diaphram calls (I like my V-Cuts the best). I also seem to cut a little better with my regulars.

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about the Sonic Domes?

I use the sonic dome and other regualer diaphram calls, they all have a different sound, which can be usefull. When a tom hangs up try a different call, have had some that wont come to a hen call but charge at a gooble.

pbg40g 03-20-2008 12:40 PM

I think the Sonic dome is the one I have. I can't seem to get it to blow, but I was trying it indoors and trying NOT to blow too hard.

Great White Hunter 03-20-2008 02:05 PM

Hey Paul,

Don't blow. Put that thing in your mouth and say "chick" and let us know if a yelp sound came out. That is how you do a hen yelp.

BTW, practiced a little more with the dome and pitch got a bit better...need more practice with it...not used to the dome.

I have about 10 different calls, some better for cutting, yelping, etc. I pick them up when I can cuz I have a small palate and so those calls are harder to come by. When I see them I get them quick. I like the V-Cuts the best by H.S. Struts cuz they seem easier to cut on and I can go soft or loud on the yelping with a good raspy tone. I usually carry 3 or 4 with me and at least 2 of my favorite in case it gets "too wet."

Paul: Tip - Keep your calls in the fridge when not using them. It keeps them fresh. I keep mine in there in a little plastic case. I also wear a little clip on my hat that holds diaphram calls. Usually one on each side of the bill.