Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Season (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   bison hunt (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527)

cpd realpolice 02-16-2008 10:08 PM

bison hunt

Any ideas for a good bison hunt. It's on the list of things my hunting partner and I would like to hunt but are wondering whether or not it is challenging enough. Most I come across are one or two days and seem like you're just picking which one you want off the ranch. I saw one on tv where the bison had tags on there ears like cattle. I'm not judging these hunts, it's just not for me. Any ideas would be appreciated. Love the look of bison(one of North Americas most majestic animals in my opinion) and to fill the frezzer with delicious meet would be great.

timba 02-17-2008 12:12 AM

I was at my taxidermists today and he was working on a buffalo shoulder mount,I've never seen anything so big as this one.He said he had to order the form out of the US and its the biggest form he could find and its still not big enough.I think it was shot in saskatchewan but not sure what kind of hunt it was.

But if I was in the US I would try Routier outfitting,there are a few members that hunt there.

timba

TLC 02-17-2008 08:47 AM

cpd, going to hunt buffalo at Routiers in a year or two. it's a ranch hunt, but don't forget that the ranch consists of over 50,000 acres. lot of looking right there. and once you find them, you still have to make the stalk to get the shot. and once you make the shot, you still have to drop the critter. without getting your rear end run over. saw a video on another site I go to where the buffalo was shot three times, all good shots as you could see the shot placements on the video, and it took a fourth shot to drop the thing. 2 shots were to the head, and 2 to the chest. unbelievable. and I'm going to bow hunt the things.:eek:

other than that, you would probably have to check out the western states to see what bison hunts they have and the draw procedures. good luck.

cpd realpolice 02-17-2008 12:03 PM

I checked out Routiers outfitters website. Looks pretty good, maybe next year if I can convince my hunting partner. He wants to hunt them but as so as I say ranch he won't listen. I tell him how large these ranches are but he just pictures a bison in a pen. South Dakota is a doable drive and maybe we can hunt pheasant for a couple of days too.

ACPOSSETIM 02-17-2008 01:13 PM

I looked into it a couple of years ago, don't know if they still do it or not but there was a place in SD (I think) called Triple U buffalo ranch there prices were pretty good, they had tons of animals. and even more land. It's actually where they filmed a good portion of Dances With Wolves. I'm a huge fan of that movie so I thought it would be cool to hunt there:D, I guess fort Sedgewick from the movie it still there.

bullmoose38 02-17-2008 01:59 PM

Im not 100% sure but I think there is really one true wild herd of bison. And I think they are a draw hunt. Almost all the bison hunts are considered ranch hunts. I would check out www.huntsd.net

timba 02-17-2008 02:38 PM

The only I know for sure that isn't a ranch hunt would be up at fort McMurray,alberta.Once they leave the park area they a legal to shoot from what I've been told from people around there.

TLC 02-17-2008 03:19 PM

as far as I have seen so far, there are 2 wild herds that are draw only in utah. somewhere around salt lake city. once in a lifetime draw. still looking into the buff hunt. wife says If I do it have to do it fairly. horseback, loincloth, and stick and string. she wants to run the camera. sometimes, I still hate that woman........:D:D:D

Monie 02-17-2008 04:35 PM

Check out Randy Routier's place. It is a ranch hunt, but it's all spot and stalk. Not for the faint of heart!!

www.huntsd.net

Great White Hunter 03-20-2008 01:37 PM

Check out Meanmike's newbie post. He mentions having info about buffalo hunts. He might have very good info for you.