Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archers Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did 2007 meet your expectations? (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51)

bullmoose38 01-09-2008 08:32 AM

Did 2007 meet your expectations?

I cant complain I had a great year. Would have liked to shoot a bigger buck but cant always happen. Shot a good antelope with Randy Routier. And met up with some fellow forum members. And most important shared most of my hunts with my wife. Also had some good hunts with some friends.

farmcntry 01-09-2008 09:01 AM

Yes!

I took 4 does and one buck.

I was also able to help a 15 y/o bag his first buck and it was a 10 pointer 18 1/2" wide and just over 200#. He also won a free shoulder mount of this deer!

pbg40g 01-09-2008 10:36 AM

had a GREAT year! got my first deer, and it was a BUCK! Would have been extra blessed to get a doe or two, but God knows how much venison my family can handle.

I honored God with a lot of the meat, too...gave it to people who I knew liked it and wouldn't be able to get their own this year. But I still have a good bit in my freezer, too.

Monie 01-09-2008 03:05 PM

I had a good year. I didn't get that shooter buck I wanted, but there's always next year. I did get some venison in the freezer.

I, too, had a great time at Randy Routier's. I took 2 antelope, a buck and a doe. I can't wait to get the mount back! It'll be like Christmas all over again!! :D

I've discovered that antelope is not so good medium well. BLECH! Well done, however, it's awesome! For some reason, for me anyway, even the slightest bit of blood makes the meat taste ultra gamey.

huntingson 01-09-2008 03:46 PM

Yes and no. Unfortunately we virtually entirely missed the caribou migration (apparently we went too early in the season this time) and although I was able to take one nice bull the group as a whole did not do very well and since the return trip was my idea I felt pretty bad about it. White tail season on the other hand was great! I took 2 bucks, one 150" in Ohio and a decent buck in Indiana for my first out of state white tail.

firediver 01-09-2008 03:52 PM

It was a dream year.....and it all started back in 2005 when I was bear hunting in Alberta. There was a guy in camp named Ralph and we were talking about caribou hunts. I had told him that a caribou hunt would be a dream hunt for me and I was considering a particular outfitter for the following year.

This guy, Ralph, suggested that I save for one more year and hunt with Mirage because it would be a perfect example of "you get what you pay for".

So, 2 1/2 years later I was doing something that I thought would never be possible........I was hunting caribou in northern Quebec. I shot a nice bull with my rifle and also scored with my bow. Then our focus was fishing and I caught my first brook trout.

Two weeks later I found myself filming ACGary on a combo hunt in South Dakota with Routier Outfitting. I didn't like it there because there were WAY TOO MANY antelope;):D

I met some great people on that trip and filmed my first kill using professional equipment. I also ate about 200 pounds of animal crackers. ACGary had this magical bag that kept refilling itself:rolleyes:

In October I recruited a fellow forum member "Brian34" to film me in Illinois. After a quick 90 minute lesson, he had the camera down well enough that I knew we were ready to get at it!!!! On our first night out, we had 7 bucks around us within the first 10 minutes on stand.

The following night started the same with a buck approaching before we were even ready. 30 minutes later I had my best buck EVER on the ground....and we had it all on tape!!!!!!!

Two days later I was playing host to "Adam" from PA as we tried to get a big ILL whitetail on the ground. We had some chances and he got to see a biggen' so the trip was a success in my opinion. It was a hard week of hunting but one of the highlights of my year.

I spent Thanksgiving on Anticosti Island chasing whitetail which was a hunt I always wanted to do but never dreamed it would happen.

AND........I spent the remainder of the year chasing and filming deer with Brian34 back home in Illinois (and we ain't done yet)

Lot of great encounters.......we filmed lots of nice bucks.....and we had a great time doing so.

Best year ever and I made MANY new friends!!!!

Quite a change from what I've been dealing with the past 10 years.....but that is another story.

Smokin Feathers 01-09-2008 04:15 PM

Was a great year, got to see my wife and daughter take their first bow kills, got sevaral women involved in Archery this year and also watched them take their first with the bow. and we also put some meat in the freezer taking 15deer so far as well as a few hogs. Wish I would have gotten a bigger buck, but their is always next year. Got to start filming, keep saying I will but I havent. Could have had 20 kills on video this year and dont have a 1. cant get the footage if you dont bring the cam!!

huntquest 01-09-2008 04:56 PM

I shot my biggest whitetail buck to date in 07, 130 class with my bow in Texas!

Now I want to shoot a bigger one!!! LOL

bullmoose38 01-10-2008 06:53 AM

Thats a nice buck!

pbg40g 01-10-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monie (Post 409)
I had a good year. I didn't get that shooter buck I wanted, but there's always next year. I did get some venison in the freezer.

I, too, had a great time at Randy Routier's. I took 2 antelope, a buck and a doe. I can't wait to get the mount back! It'll be like Christmas all over again!! :D

I've discovered that antelope is not so good medium well. BLECH! Well done, however, it's awesome! For some reason, for me anyway, even the slightest bit of blood makes the meat taste ultra gamey.

I wonder if soaking it in ice water would help like it does with deer? I've heard people tell me that soaking venison in ice water helps with the gamey taste. Some said to add salt, others said to add vinegar, but almost all of them said to soak it overnight. It's supposed to pull out some of the blood or something, and it pulls out the gamey flavor.

We'll see if it works. I've got a small roast cut from the backstrap of my deer soaking now. I'll probably barbecue it when I get home tonight. Or cut it up for jerky.