Archer's Choice Media Forums

Archer's Choice Media Forums (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My Choice (http://www.archerschoicemedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45)

Monie 01-08-2008 10:35 PM

My Choice

Upland game! yum yum!!

I cut my teeth on doves and quails. Rabbits are more plentiful in this state, I'd forgotten how tastey they are! At $6.00/lb in the store...yeah I'll go whack my own, thank you.

I'd love to try waterfowl hunting, but I'm still not sure where to start. Can anyone help?

I've got a Remington 870 Express which is great for rabbits and even turkey, but dove and quail...not so much.

farmcntry 01-09-2008 07:12 AM

I LOVE to rabbit hunt. As the years go by our population of bunnies keep going down.

We hunt ducks and geese around beaver dams here. We haven't gone big enough to get the dekes and such yet.
Still though, 20 or so geese per year and around 10 - 15 ducks makes good tablefare.

TLC 01-09-2008 07:13 AM

start for waterfowl - I know this one. near water!!! seriously though, water is the best bet to "cut your teeth" on waterfowl. then of course you can always go to the ground blinds and lay yourself down in a cornfield. watching for the flying bird is another way to get yourself going. decoys are almost a must anymore. gun that shoots 3" or better mags is a MUST. hip or chest waders. and of course, you have to have a lab. mine have always been chocolate, but thats a personal preference. a boat never hurt either.

Cherokeechass 01-09-2008 10:18 AM

My kids love to go squirrel hunting. And you gotta love a big old pot of squirrel pot pie.

Monie 01-09-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherokeechass (Post 354)
My kids love to go squirrel hunting. And you gotta love a big old pot of squirrel pot pie.

Squirrel pot pie...that actually sounds good!! What do you put in it?? Other than squirrel...I know how you wise guys think!:cool:

Cherokeechass 01-09-2008 01:25 PM

Name: SQUIRREL POT PIE
Category: Wild Game
Author: Onlinefood.com.au
Date: 6/18/2002
Hits: 194
Rating: ( 3.3 ) by 11 users

Ingredients:
2 dressed squirrels (2 - 2 1/2 lbs.)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
Dash of black pepper
Rolled dumplings
Parsley
Instructions:
This is an excellent way to cook old squirrels which are too tough for frying. Wipe thoroughly with a damp cloth and remove all hair. Remove any shot and scent glands. Wash well inside and out with warm water. Cut into serving pieces. Put squirrel into a kettle; add water and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer until very tender (2-3 hours depending on age of animal). The meat should be almost ready to fall from the bones.

Add pepper and butter. Increase the heat until liquid boils. Lay the rolled dumplings over the top of squirrel; cover tightly and cook for 12-15 minutes. Do not lift cover during cooking. Place squirrel in a hot plate and arrange dumplings around the edge. Cooking the dumplings in the liquid should thicken the gravy to just the right consistency. Pour gravy over squirrel and dumplings. A little fresh chopped parsley may be sprinkled over the top for garnish. 4 servings.

Smokin Feathers 01-09-2008 02:16 PM

We love to squ hunt as well and have a JAM UP dog that makes it that much the better and really adds to the fun. Also like to bowhunt cottontails and jacks out west and run them with the beagles here in the pinneywoods. Waterfowl hunting is a blast, but can also be a lot of work. But it is worth it. I really like crow hunting as well, its a BLAST!!

huntquest 01-09-2008 04:54 PM

I have never got into small game or waterfowl hunting much. Always been pretty much a big game hunter!

ACPOSSETIM 01-14-2008 03:52 PM

Monie

I'm not the most experienced on waterfowl, I like to spend more time on chasing the earth bound animals but have done a fair share of goose hunting. Your 870 will work just fine, just make sure you use the right shot size for the bird/distance you are expecting. I love the nusiance (sp?) season up here in No. IL we are allowed 5 birds a day and the birds are relatively easy to call, as they have not been shot at yet so it makes it easy to do some damage quickly! I suggest getting a call, blowing it until you are sick of hearing it:p to learn to use it properly (Freddy may have some pointers for you, he is VERY good!), then find someone with decoys willing to take a newbie. You should pick it up pretty quickly.

Monie 01-14-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACPOSSETIM (Post 1298)
Monie

I'm not the most experienced on waterfowl, I like to spend more time on chasing the earth bound animals but have done a fair share of goose hunting. Your 870 will work just fine, just make sure you use the right shot size for the bird/distance you are expecting. I love the nusiance (sp?) season up here in No. IL we are allowed 5 birds a day and the birds are relatively easy to call, as they have not been shot at yet so it makes it easy to do some damage quickly! I suggest getting a call, blowing it until you are sick of hearing it:p to learn to use it properly (Freddy may have some pointers for you, he is VERY good!), then find someone with decoys willing to take a newbie. You should pick it up pretty quickly.

Thanks for the tip!!

After the other night and being told about how Freddy's mind worked, I'm not sure one of your phrases and Freddy's name should be used together!! rotflmao!